1. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Magic Flute

A decent expansion of opera on screen with the now familiar conceit of realising the stage bound as just that in a partially opened-out narrative (oddly reminiscent of Olivier's Henry V in that respect). The musicality is lively, the playing often cutesy and the tone surprisingly light for this director eschewing much of the Masonic undertone of the original.

2. LibertyCapz's rating of the film The Magic Flute

Definitely not my favorite of Bergman's works but considering the restraints, it's still a pretty fun and visually interesting film.

3. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Magic Flute

An oddity. Feels like a pet project as when Burton made 'Charlie & the Chocolate Factory' or Jackson 'King Kong'. Of course, 'The Magic Flute' is not risible like those two wrong-headed indulgences, but the enthusiasm belongs to Bergman to be glimpsed by the audience. This giddiness however makes it the only truly **cute** Bergman film I've ever seen! It's pretty darling. Švankmajer went further with 'Faust', though.

4. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Magic Flute

The Queen of the Night aria feels like something Bergman would have written if it hadn’t already existed a century before.

5. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Magic Flute

6. FISCHER's rating of the film The Magic Flute

Intéressante osmose entre Ingmar Bergman et Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart par l'intermédiaire de l'opéra, d'une indéniable réussite cinématographique... www.cinefiches.com

7. lemonish5's rating of the film The Magic Flute

This rendition of Mozart's tremendous opera is a reminder what a blessing it is to be able to experience life through Bergman's distinctive eye.

8. Khach Aloyan's rating of the film The Magic Flute

9. Aardsy's rating of the film The Magic Flute

Better than sleepytime tea. Great nap!

10. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Magic Flute

Ingmar Bergman's lovely tribute to opera.

11. Ethan's rating of the film The Magic Flute

It might just be because I don't like musicals but this film just doesn't do anything for me. Bergman was very fond of this film but I am not.

12. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Magic Flute

Not sure about the quality of the singing, but this is a joyous representation of the piece.

13. daftnymph's rating of the film The Magic Flute

um blatant misogyny doe - women reduced to prizes, temptresses, petty vindictive villains. sisterhood/females literally epitomized as forces of darkness

14. ADZERTY's rating of the film The Magic Flute

Un grand classique, que dire de plus ?

15. Soizic Izzi's rating of the film The Magic Flute

Un enchantement, mon petit garçon de 5 ans le regarde souvent avec des étoiles pleins les yeux !

16. Anita's rating of the film The Magic Flute

felt like a punishment watching it until the end. i like Bergman but i barely saw him here. I think an homage would work better if the betrayal of the adaptation was more visible

17. Theories Of Anxiety's rating of the film The Magic Flute

that girl in the audience has mastered a Buddha smile.

18. Chris's rating of the film The Magic Flute

19. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film The Magic Flute

"worth seeing" - that's just about the highest praise i can give it. i don't like ingmar bergman at all (sorry), so that is some high praise i guess.. to reiterate, this film is worth seeing.

20. ramosbarajas's rating of the film The Magic Flute

It is much lighter than you would expect from Bergman, but in a way this is as much an homage to Mozart and the theater as Fanny and Alexander was an homage to his childhood. And I think both are really similar in tone. The cast jumps off the screen, and it becomes a great party. It was definitely a creative way of approaching an adaptation, and I think it works. It can be a bit dated, but overall a new experience.

21. Danny Kana's rating of the film The Magic Flute

Couldn't stand it. I appreciate bergman and his creativity. But this is the first film I've ever been able to not complete. Ill give it a go again in a few years.

22. chanandre's rating of the film The Magic Flute

[Cinémathèque PT #648: 35 mm] (2008) was it weird that i kept counting the sopranos' cavities and checking their poor teeth?

23. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film The Magic Flute

I'm not sure if the cutaways to the little girl in the audience are that effective but the subject matter almost reminds one of a comic version of the SEVENTH SEAL with Wagnerian sets (!)