1. Quattro's rating of the film The Magician

Not my favourite Bergman. I didn't find the two protagonists very likeable nor the subject particularly interesting, and the plot has some weak spots too; I liked more the side characters and their little subplots, that kinda reminded me of the brilliant Sommarnattens leende. The setting, the mise-en-scène and the lighting are always wonderful, of course, and–is it me or Ingrid Thulin is even hotter made up that way?

2. Mario C.'s rating of the film The Magician

One of Bergman's most bizarre films, also because of the tone between drama and farce. The characters are all well defined and representative of something. Everyone, in his own way, has to deal with fear for what can not be explained.

3. Justin Senkbile's rating of the film The Magician

These earlier, Gunnar Fischer shot ones have a grace and power that just disappeared from Bergman's movies at some point

4. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Magician

A strange composite revenge drama with things to say about the ‘mask’ of performance, establishments built on sand and reason v. superstition, but not a convincing whole with these threads half-baked in a bitty quasi sex-farce and thus never fully realised. It’s a bridge from the 1950s theatrical ensembles towards the mature style from the 60s onwards. As ever though, much to enjoy and learn from this Master.

5. ammar's rating of the film The Magician

6. kulturminister's rating of the film The Magician

7. De La Ghetto's rating of the film The Magician

But if I had to choose one, this my favorite Bergman movie.

8. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Magician

9. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film The Magician

Artículo ("Kane3"): https://lamiradadealbert.wordpress.com/2007/07/25/albert-emmanuel-vogler-bergman/

10. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Magician

7.3/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2Yx

11. hemachandra's rating of the film The Magician

"I think I am a better ghost than I am a human being."

12. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Magician

It's really quite a shame that this movie didn't work. It's so Shakespearean! The first 4/5ths is quite good. The ending seems tacked on later as almost an afterthought. Seems like someone from Hollywood came in and threw together a happy ending. Of course he made another run at similar material with 'The Rite', which is surprisingly daring and good for a TV movie.

13. FISCHER's rating of the film The Magician

Une oeuvre sombre et pessimiste, intensément dense et pénétrante par son symbolisme pesant qui décrit magistralement le monde clos et tourmenté de la nature humaine. www.cinefiches.com

14. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film The Magician

A fantasist, convincing and slightly subversive evil-ish, weird comedy. Ingrid Thulin is extraordinary, as usual and Max Von Sydow is colder and more enigmatic than ever. Bring things close to his movie The Devil's eye with the add of scarily mesmerist cinematic influence from Dr Mabuse and stuffs from Browning.

15. HSBilly's rating of the film The Magician

visually stunning. and of course ingrid thulin and bibi andersson.

16. alice's rating of the film The Magician

Riflessione sulla morte (come, in fondo, tutta la produzione di Bergman), questo film ha, sul finale, una virata verso la "commedia" che alleggerisce ed illumina il racconto.

17. Ethan's rating of the film The Magician

For my money this is Bergman doing his best horror film. The scene in the attic is pure genius. This is very underrated Bergman too.

18. Ronja's rating of the film The Magician

2,5 - the best part for me was the music in the opening titles

19. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Magician

4.5 stars. A very dark moody affair, this one really screws with your emotions. A great one from one of the masters.

20. Jason's rating of the film The Magician

The artist: naked, terribly exposed con-artist fueled by shame and hellbent on revenge. Exactement. Often considered a companion piece to the decade-later Riten, which is admittedly far more streamlined, exact, and devastating. Riten is also a good measure less whacky.

21. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Magician

***1/2, at least; there's a slight tone-shift problem, and a higher creakiness-to-exhilaration ratio than in his very best, but it's Bergman's STARDUST MEMORIES, for better or worse (and for the record -- I love STARDUST MEMORIES).

22. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film The Magician

23. Blumes's rating of the film The Magician

"You induced a temporary fear of death. That is all."

24. Samantha Von Busch's rating of the film The Magician

Bergman lends to film a somewhat abstract visual reproduction of classical theatre. His consistent retelling of quiet female suffering, and a deep-seated fear of the fool [whether due to his classical style or autobiography] might fall short if it weren't for his excellent directing skills. Overall, in the context of the rest of his work, I'd say this is the best.