1. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

2. El Biffo's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Family Movie Day with my teenage son, a big Welles fan. The camera angles/shots and editing are masterful but I just want to also mention the amazing costumes, especially the hats :-)

3. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Absolutely astonishing. I only can imagine how fulfill would be the complete project, since this is already a little masterpiece.

4. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Even if the movie was cut down and almost destroyed by a crazy film-producer with no creative mind this is a fantastic drama with excellent acting and memorable imagery. This Orson Welles movie is another of his many overlooked gems that get overshadowed by "Citizen Kane" by many critics which is disappointing since it is a masterpiece even if the ending was changed by the studio.

5. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Sadly the film that largely destroyed Welles career in Hollywood, but it was for the better as it charged him to fund his own projects and do whatever he wanted. Magnificent Ambersons was a highly ambitious effort.

6. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Artículo (suplemento cultural "It's playtime"): https://lamiradadealbert.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/magnificent-ambersons-orson-welles/

7. Maudealan's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Even with all the famous mangling it's so wistful, and Agnes Moorehead!!

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Cette saga familiale racontant la passion d'Eugène Morgan pour la belle Isabel Amberson, lui préférant le ténébreux Wilbur Minafer, durait à l'origine plus de 2 heures. Devant la "bouderie" du public, les producteurs le réduisirent à la durée actuelle, au grand dam d'Orson Welles. Après la naissance d'un fils (George) et la mort de Wilbur, le mariage d'Eugène, le "couple" se retrouve lors d'un bal. www.cinefiches.com

9. eugenie de sade's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

my 95 year old grandmother really does give the best movie recommendations!!!

10. alice's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

In attesa di vederne una versione meno indecentemente mutilata.

11. mubianer's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Finally got to see this. Can't help to hope the director's cut is in the jungle in Brazil somewhere...but excellent nonetheless. Quite inventive use of sound too. Favourite moment: The cutting between the horse wagon and the automobile.

12. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Re-rating this a 5 after seeing a gorgeous print at the Metrograph. The Magnificent Ambersons is so notorious as a butchered, incomplete film that we shouldn't forget to appreciate that what remains on screen is still brilliant. One of the most beautiful films about the passing of time, and how the world will move out from under you no matter how stubbornly you try to stay in place.

13. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

14. Aardsy's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

The elements are delightful even if this is a mess.

15. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

A haunting and beautiful film and, in a lesser way, a frustrating one. The studio butchering applied to a narration that is already elliptical, concentrating information in dense bits of dialogue makes for a viewing that feels like bumping along the story. Of course, this can agree with the description of a group of characters that become more alienated and melancholic with the passage of time.

16. Ethan's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Hopefully one day we will be able to get the full Welles vision but for now the condensed version isn't bad.

17. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Take away the tacked on Hollywood happy ending, and you have one of Welles 3 best films.

18. MGeo's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Under most cases, I would mark this four stars because of Amberson's reputation as one of the most compromised films in history and that we will never see Welles' original version...but what we have is SO good and SO accomplished...it's easy to overlook any omissions. Is it Citizen Kane. Not in the slightest. Is it still one of the best American films ever made? Without question.

19. Vincent T's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

saw it the second time tonight in the theater. Now I really wish that I could see the original version. I'm not completely in love with it, but there's something about it that attracts me. Note to self so I will remember what I thought about it tonight: (other characters) son -> mother + sacrifice = doom. A dark and ironic view of human destiny and relationships.

20. Chris_Parker's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

As much as I crave to see the full-length version of The Magnificent Ambersons, the one we’ve got is perhaps the ultimate testament to Welles’s genius. It makes a defiant, if unintentional, statement: ‘Look, despite it all, I've made a masterpiece.’ The soul of true art can be lessened, but never removed. The Magnificent Ambersons is still in many ways Welles' most impressive film.

21. Muraki's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

22. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

On the 88' version. Waiting for seeing the uncut one.

23. Paolo del ventoso Est's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Believe me, the colorized version is such a gorgeous funny thing.

24. DanOffen's rating of the film The Magnificent Ambersons

Admired not enjoyed. Perhaps the cut version I watched was lacking. Might seek out a full version rather than the 88 minutes one.

← Previous 1 3 4