1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

Excellente conjonction entre le réalisateur et le célèbre romancier... www.cinefiches.com

2. Rui Tenreiro's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

Not Kon's finest hour. Lacks complexity, poor characterisation, overall poor adaptation from the book . It's a surprisingly immature film for a director who was 67 years old by then and had 40 years of filmmaking under his belt.

3. Invagination's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

The most beautiful kimono display ever to be filmed.

4. Koneko's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

Beautiful and delicate ... The art of kimono design is stunningly presented. The filming of the sakura blossoms falling against the sky is priceless ... I have watched this movie over and over for some many reasons.

5. ramosbarajas's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

I found it to be too lengthy at times. I think it had something to do with the long dialogues with almost no respite. But overall, I enjoyed it. The cinematography and the editing are playful and well executed. Even the 80s music is not enough to make it seem dated. The story is nice, with good performances. The milieu is established from the begining and the mood is maintained throughout.

6. Daniela's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

I liked it. Cool camerawork. The OP scene was probably the best part.

7. Aprilia DS's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

sisterhood with the travelling trust. itsumo kazoku wa hontou ni ichiban taisetsu na mono.

8. Roscoe's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

A lovely, bittersweet family story. It might seem to meander, but it all comes together in the end. A lot more is going on than meets the eye on a first viewing. Impeccable performances, beautiful production, only a terribly dated synthesizer score dates the film.

9. Dzimas's rating of the film The Makioka Sisters

Finally on DVD! Thanks Criterion.