1. Marvin's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

This is the earliest Hitchcock film I've seen where the full package that would come to define him as a filmmaker is on full display. Previous movies like the silent The Manxman and his early talkie Murder! showan abundance of his preoccupations, preferred shot selection and shooting style but here it all comes togeher, and it works pretty well. This isn't my favorite Hitch but I liked it a whole lot. Recommended.

2. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

The usual touch of great visual images add much to this Hitchcock classic as do it's great pace, intriguing story, beautiful heroine and the excellent villain played by Peter Lorre. The overlong climax and Leslie Banks' stiff hero make it lose a star though.

3. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

4. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

I like this version better than the later one. The mother seems more competent. Also, Peter Lorre is a better villain and Nova Pilbeam is fine too.

5. Samuel T.'s rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

*16mm 3.5 The scene from the concert, and the church, and that chair scene though... Pretty complex plot for such a short film, the first "talkie" maybe. Whatever- humor, suspense, verbose- fun times!

6. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

One of Hitch's first early masterstrokes. Lorre is superb here, as it, well, most of the cast. The key to this film which is sadly lacking in the remake is the delicate balance of witty comedic lines with tense dramatic situations. The remake seems bland in comparison, and I love Jimmy and Doris so thats tough to say. I would say even the concert scene is executed better here. The remake is too Hollywood. 4.5 stars

7. João R's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

Solid but underwhelming.

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

Non dénué d'humour, avec un excellent Peter Lorre, inquiétant à souhait, une oeuvre de jeunesse d'Alfred Hitchcock qui confirme une maîtrise naissante... www.cinefiches.com

9. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

One of Hitchcock's most simplistic and most entertaining films!

10. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

I’m finding I don’t enjoy Hitchcock’s early British period very much. Well, I do enjoy it, it just can’t hold up against his Hollywood stuff. I like the Englishness of it though, it is very charming. And Peter Lorre is always fun to watch.

11. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

5.5/10 per alcune scene effettivamente ben dirette però cazzo...

12. Tudor Rachieru's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

13. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

14. Maudealan's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

The church hypnotism and the final shootout are great, as is Peter Lorre

15. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

16. SoulBrotherNo1's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

6/10 - Pretty good, but not as sharp as the best of his later work.

17. A47's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

Peter Lorre gives one of the best performances of a villain, elevating a subpar script to an intriguing thriller. A character with more ethics than most modern-day protagonists and a truer swagger than Humphrey Bogart. If Hitch ever got lucky, it was here... "I hope so, for all our sakes."

18. Terry_Moby's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

The timing is a bit clumsy at times, the girl is truly terrible and the danger of the whole affair is hardly felt. But it's fun to see this as a scrapbook of ideas from the future master filmmaker. There is a remarkably high body count for a Hitchcock film.

19. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

Peter Lorre didn't know English when he got this role. He learned his lines phonetically and worked with a tutor so that he truly understood them. He does an amazing job. I never understood the appeal of the remake. Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day didn't work for me.

20. Mcpeer's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

Interesting early Hitchcock. Excited to see the remake in comparison. A visual flurry with some stand out moments, particularly in the church. Strong performances especially by a creepy Peter Lorre.

21. andraberila's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

A great film to study how Hitchcock develops his skills as a filmmaker.

22. Ka potem Es's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

8.5/10. The 1956 version is probably a better movie, but somehow I prefer this version. Now guess why...

23. db's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

Being largely unfamiliar with Hitchcock's pre-Hollywood films, this definitely whetted my appetite for more from this period of his career. And, to be honest, previous to watching this, my acquaintance with Peter Lorre mostly came from Warner Bros. cartoon caricatures. Seeing his performance here, then, was something of a revelation.

24. katechon's rating of the film The Man Who Knew Too Much

it turns out there was a (good) reason why he decided to remake it