1. El Biffo's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

2. msmichel's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Conrad Veidt gives one of the great silent performances here with this adaptation of the Victor Hugo novel. This gothic tale of the man behind the monster and palace intrigue is both exciting and moving throughout. Editing is key here with clever cuts.

3. subtonal's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Definitely one of if not the best silent film I've seen yet! Feels so modern/timeless! Very well done and creepy/thrilling/touching. One can also see so many influential aspects of this movie/era that are present in many movies since.

4. AdrianM.'s rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

5. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Conrad Veidt is most known for Dr Caligari, but to me his most notable performance was as the good joker, a man disfigured since childhood who cant help but have a painted smile on his face. 20s cult classic right there.

6. _cmb's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

I still can't believe the range of expressions Veidt was able to pull off, and how much his emotions, as well as Philbin's, reach you. Just, wow!!

7. Joel's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Though oft categorized as horror it succeeds more as a gothic romance. Taking ques from german expressionism the images are more striking perhaps than the story itself. Though it has much rewarding metaphoric implications, like the elephant man we are tricked when He who is meant to horrify us instead reaveals us, the people to be the horror, and she who is without sight is the only one to see the truth. Recommended.

8. grotesc's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

9. Deiner's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

I haven't had the opportunity to read Victor Hugo's novel so I can't compare this to its source material. I must say there were some scenes that were unnecessarily long but I thought it was an entertaining film overall. Conrad Veidt is heartbreakingly great, and Mary Philbin and Olga Baclanova were also very good. And a shout-out to Homo, for being a stone cold killer.

10. Shoham L's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

There has never been, and will never be, a greater expressionist actor than Conrad Veidt.

11. Fritz's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Conrad Veidt is expressionism personified. It's haunting and hypnotic how his eyes convey sadness and longing despite that ridiculous contradiction - the constant laugh. Gwynplaine, a familiar face today in the form of the Joker, is an embittered hero unlike his psychopathic counterpart.

12. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Classic. This one started off a bit slow and creaky but damn if it didnt grab me and had me enthralled to the end. One of Veidt's best performances on film.

13. Thomas Henry Gould's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Without doubt one of the best silent films ever. Tragic, haunting and overall beautiful. Great acting from Conrad Veidt

14. Log Lady's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Veidt speaks with his eyes. It's inconceivable how even with that ridiculous grin on his face he can still convey sadness and despair. The story, however, is a typical romantic melodrama that doesn't have the same pull as Hugo's other more famous stories. I haven't read the book, but at least Leni's version didn't convince me, despite the small Expressionist touch.

15. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

chato (o ator tá incrível, though)

16. Cincinnatus C.'s rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

17. saptarshi's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

This is my favorite book of all time bar none. I almost don't want to see this..

18. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

He gave us the origin of The Joker.

19. Guillermo Padilla's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Genial película con tintes expresionistas (sobre todo en la primera parte) un clásico que marcaría algunas de las pautas del cine de terror clásico de los estudios Universal. Imperdible.

20. Robert Karol's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

An over-the-top silent melodrama, though worth watching for the performance of Conrad Veidt. I feel like Chaney's PHANTOM OF THE OPERA holds up better, but worth seeing on the big screen.

21. staciness's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

This movie is perfect! Not sure I can find a silent film that I like better.

22. Anastasia's rating of the film The Man Who Laughs

Repeated viewing reveals the utter genius of this film. Veidt's performance is phenomenal.