1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

You might think this is just a normal film. It's not normal! It's Kaurismaki! I find his films quite intriguing. They have an absurd humour and an unpredictability to them. I didn't get him the first time I saw one of his films. It's a bit like trying to understand a different sense of humour or a different language. If you watch them more than once, as I did with this film, you start to understand his rhythms.

2. Kaj's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

I wish the wonderful final act could have carried better that empty first hour. But it could not have.

3. Bernardo Crastes's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

It made me think of classic French movies. I liked the fact that he doesn't really try to go after his past, as if, in a way, he knew it was not worth it. A good tale of reinvention done in a quiet, subtle way. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but the character interaction feels slightly unnatural.

4. Isaac Ionescu's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

5. anadyomene's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

J.A. Lujanen/M's post-amnesia life is one of my childhood naive dream: living with a very small amount of money, alone in a container house by the river/lake/sea, planting potatoes. One of my favorite scenes: "If you see me lying face down in the gutter, turn me on my back." and the romance, aaah this film is so beautiful and warm in its own way.

6. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

7. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

Entre poésie, rêverie et tendresse ! www.cinefiches.com

9. Maudy Puteri Agusdina's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

Aki Kaurismaki's films, like this one, just like a chicken soup to warm my soul. No need anything else but simplicity, love and Bill Murray-ism (?) acting method.

10. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

La recitazione è insopportabilmente scarsa e piatta, tanto da farmi chiedere se sia volontariamente così scadente. Tutto il film è caratterizzato da un piattume indecente, dove ogni sentimento, sia soave che disturbante, è brutalmente ridotto allo zero. L'unica cosa salvabile è una regia di un certo gusto, che fa da salvagente ad un film deludente.Tralatro Kaurismaki mi è sempre stato decantato come un genio, bah.

11. João Rocha's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

Great humoristic plot. The "dangerous" dog made me laugh really really hard. Amazing soundtrack too

12. Beatriz Ourique's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

13. Dignan's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

Terrible. Kaurismaki gains sentiment and loses authenticity.

14. Halil Küçükyıldız's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

A Simply and effective film. A wonderful film about past, now and future. Without a name and memory, trying to exist and keeping on to live. Very successful product.

15. Hunter Hemingway's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

16. Amanda A.Costa's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

I didnt enjoy it as much as i did " Drifting clouds " Still Kaurismaki has a lot of power by building his remarkable characters. They dont express any feelings but you can have a lot of feelings for them. The man without a past is quite enigmatic, but i couldnt identify myself with his history, while drifting clouds is very suitable to our actual situations like social problems

17. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

Saw this with an appreciative theater audience, and was impressed by the quality of the laughter it elicited: nuanced, sardonic, yet without cynicism.

18. ikkini's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

Un superbe portrait doux et amer !

19. Minna's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

20. Francisco R.'s rating of the film The Man Without a Past

I found it charming to a fault, because Kaurismaki wallows too much in these characters' (and implicitly a portion of Finland's) abject conditions to make a fully convincing portrait. I found his social commentary frankly jaundiced and no more sensitive, interesting or incisive than the usual lower-middle class rants about politics and the government one hears on populist TV-shows.

21. HSBilly's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

22. ihor's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

A rich humanist tale that gives the aura of archetypal depressing Scandinavian movie. The stoical exterior though is only a tool to showcase Kaurismaki's unique brand of humor mixing poverty, love and American rock n roll together. Proving that hope and the small ridiculous joys in life are invoked no matter how depressing a situation may appear to be.

23. astygianelysium's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

such a delight, from the humour to the Finnish indie rock to the way dialogue is shot through with smarmy non-sequiturs. what it understands (no different from Kafka, but less obsessed with despair) is that identity is groundless. nothing, be it a name, a trait, a desire, is ever 'true' or even consistent. it's an optimistic film, though--it wants to say that our empty subjectivity doesn't preclude happiness.

24. anarresti's rating of the film The Man Without a Past

Kaurismaki's humour is a poetic talent.