1. Traum Baum's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Even Bresson knew that cinema isn't and mustn't be "filmed theatre". This is exactly that, in the most literal sense, Bresson's worst nightmare, but the formidable cinematography, rich in references to German Romantic painters, somewhat compensates for the lack of cinematic language.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Marquise of O

On reste mitigé de cette interprétation du fameux roman... www.cinefiches.com

3. Cyril Schreiber's rating of the film The Marquise of O

4. Jason's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Like so many before me, I became something of a blithe anarchist by virtue of my time spent studying the liberal arts in as outré a fashion as academia made available. So it is no small thing that Éric Rohmer, the conservative branch of the nouvelle vague, excites such adoration in me. THE MARQUISE OF O is especially special because it is pure cinema-as-plainspoken-magic. It states its case w/ regal aptness.

5. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Every shot looks like some sort of Romantic oil painting. This one's gonna haunt for some time. Also, for how it appears like a piece of theater (no music, minimal), I was reminded of Cries and Whispers?

6. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Marquise of O

7. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Marquise of O

8. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Marquise and Count meet nice during the latter's siege of the former's family castle. Much hilarity ensues (I keed, I keed). Seriously, was Bruno Ganz ever really that young? He and Edith Clever play the 'happy couple' at the center of this period piece set during the Napoleonic Wars of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Very much like a stage play, in the best sense of the word. Fine ensemble acting.

9. Auranee's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Everything looks so lush and mesmerizing that I couldn't stop watching even though the story made me want to throw up

10. G.'s rating of the film The Marquise of O

What fun, and hilarious to boot.

11. fearraigh's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Brilliantly relates Kleist's tale in a sober fashion despite the core of the story seeming monstrous in this day and age. Ganz is great as the sad-eyed melancholic Graf. This beautifully mounted film is among Rohmer's best.

12. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film The Marquise of O

I love Eric Rohmer but wasn't certain at first that I could sit through a dry, highly staged costume drama. But I grew to like the Rohmer touches in it -- his bird's-eye-view observations on human frailties and self-imposed suffering and his journalistic approach to filmmaking. While the movie looked like a stage play much of the time, its themes connected and stirred some emotion.

13. Allison Rung's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Wonderful, economical, beguiling. A gallant rape, elegantly presented.

14. lemonish5's rating of the film The Marquise of O

This family drama in close-up feels more theatrical than cinematic--the lack of music, the limited but fabulous sets (and costumes!), the fades between scenes, the marquise's exaggerated fainting spells. The cinematography is subtly perfect, Clever and especially Ganz are great, and (call me a cynic) the plot perhaps can shed a great deal of light on the nature of modern romantic relations.

15. Loz Loory's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Fantastic costumes and set design--it looks like the early 19th century without a 1970s influence. The cinematography even makes the actors look smaller, as they were back then. While the plot is an excellent reminder of how much women's rights have evolved, it is creepy that the rapist is ultimately embraced (though this is in keeping with romantic notions of that historical period).

16. PMF's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Thought it was a tiny bit campy at first, but it turned out to be a great film!

17. Jack Hoehn's rating of the film The Marquise of O

The tension between Rohmer's and Kleist's very different worldviews makes for an interesting if uneven and in my opinion not entirely successful adaptation. That being said, who ever designed ms. ganz's wardrobe needs to call me bc i think i found my new look for fall.

18. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Marquise of O

19. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Marquise of O

20. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Marquise of O

This Rohmer film is absolutely hilarious!

21. Alex's rating of the film The Marquise of O

22. mubianer's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Minor rohmer. But always nice to see bruno ganz.

23. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film The Marquise of O

Éric Rohmer plus German language. I never imagined such a combination would be possible.

24. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film The Marquise of O

one of those films where you're thinking 'oh damn' as one malady after another piles up. it is perhaps rohmer's most ambitious film to date (1976). would-be interesting companion with kubrick's barry lyndon from the previous year.