1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Master

I also join cults / any time I think about / my daddy issues.

2. spasmolytic's rating of the film The Master

3. tenonder's rating of the film The Master

4. Erik F.'s rating of the film The Master

A riveting and enigmatic drama with Hoffman's and Phoenix's best performances. The eerie tension of certain scenes almost made me burst out of my chair.

5. Pedro Soares's rating of the film The Master

'this isn’t a film that has the answers; it’s a film about people who think they do'

6. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film The Master

Un duetto tra la disperata ricerca di stabilità del protagonista ed il suadente calappio teso dal Maestro fa da soggetto ad un film dai ritmi lenti e le inquadrature curate. Anderson si riconferma un gran regista, supportato da una buona fotografia ed un cast di attori stellari, capitanato da un magistrale Joaquin Phoenix, che, tra bottiglie di whisky e desideri sessuali, mette la firma sotto una performance lodevole

7. Philippe P. Marchetti's rating of the film The Master

My favorite PTA movie. Nowadays it hurts to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in a movie. I miss him very much. Him & Joaquin are part of many cult scenes from this movie.

8. jkristianl's rating of the film The Master

9. cansu m's rating of the film The Master

10. FISCHER's rating of the film The Master

Que le film soit inspiré peu ou prou de la scientologie et de son fondateur, Ron Hubbard, n'apporte et n'enlève rien à l'indéniable savoir-faire du réalisateur qui de film en film imprime durablement sa personnalité dans la courte liste des metteurs en scène yankees encore indépendants. www.cinefiches.com

11. MistaRichard's rating of the film The Master

How do you expose Scientology/other religious cults without actually mentioning Scientology/other religious cults? Easy: you make this movie.

12. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Master

13. salty_candy's rating of the film The Master

I fell asleep even though I wasn't tired in the first place. Don't know if was because of the script, the editing or just that I couldn't relate to the story or characters at all. Just wasn't working for me

14. Cassidy Bell's rating of the film The Master

Not PTA's best by any measure, but Joaquin Phoenix is so damn good in this movie.

15. enchi's rating of the film The Master

Ok we all should admit that film is ridiculous and boring at the same time. How is it even possible?

16. Steve G.'s rating of the film The Master

17. Malt Frisky's rating of the film The Master

The performances by Hoffman and Phoenix are mind blowing. So much so they actually manage to overshadow the rest of the cast but as for the actual story dealing with religious movements, post war trauma and psychological analysis it seems to consistently keep switching about before you start to get comfortable with one, confirmed by Steinbeck inspiration and drunken navy stories when the script was thrown together.

18. Anca.'s rating of the film The Master

Loved the soundtrack and the jail scene.

19. Sara Sousa's rating of the film The Master

20. Roy Deckard's rating of the film The Master

Good directing, great cinematography, way too mediocre plot. Stop writing your own movies PTA, and get a fucking writer already! The movie is boring.

21. Igor Ramos's rating of the film The Master

Just proves how Joaquin Phoenix is one of the greatest actors alive: the way he embodies this tragic, emotionally unstable sailor, with his arch-back, hands on waist, baggy clothes and heavy expression is pure art. Hoffman is exceptional too and Adams is a scene stealer. This search for guidance in life is timeless, it improved drastically on a second watch, I'd first seen it some years ago and wasn't that impressed.

22. belemir's rating of the film The Master