1. Ghostman's rating of the film The Mend

A solid indie drama about two bougie brothers & how fucked up they are. At times it's too loose & stage-like with an awkward start, but The Mend becomes an honest & artifice-free look at adult malaise & ennui. The acting is excellent and the direction focused & character-based. A fine debut by John Magary. I was privileged enough to watch a screening of this with the director & screenwriters present. Pretty kewl.

2. Diderot's rating of the film The Mend

This is a really impressive debut film. Every performance is perfect, and the tone and construction are both unique. There's also something very sexy about this phantasmagoria of masculine unrest.

3. Blumes's rating of the film The Mend

Character behavior is painted realistically, even when other elements are out of whack. Commendable on the whole.

4. Renton47's rating of the film The Mend

A stunning character study, I was utterly entranced by this bold and raw piece of filmmaking, a debut no less. Such a primal depiction of male apathy and family psychology, where the movements behind the camera are entirely evocative of the headspace of its leads, so much so that the style bounces from whimsical comedy to horror in short stabs. Hilarious, tragic, see: Naked, Listen Up Phillip, Buzzard, all favs

5. saitosouta's rating of the film The Mend

WOOOOO, Have you watched such a greatly strange American indie film? I haven't. And I haven't smoked marijuana, but this movie's mysteriously high-tension makes me think "Oh, noew i' m sMo kinG maLIHuana or somuTH IN". I'm glad that emerges McConaissance, Gyllenaissance, keatonaissance and yeah finally LUKANAISSANCE !!!!!!!!. (and I'm happy that I see "Appropriate Behavior"'s Rebecca Henderson briefly)

6. Jose Guzman's rating of the film The Mend

me gusto el uso de la camara, las tomas estan muy bien tomadas,note planos que no soy muy utilizados y que la camara siempre esta en moviemiento,nunca se queda estatica, la historia es buena pero un poco predecible pues son dos hermanos muy diferentes, me gusto el uso de la musica en la parte final

7. Noah Friedman's rating of the film The Mend

8. filmcapsule's rating of the film The Mend

This style of "stressed-out comedy" is abrasive and provocative. The neuroses on display are a bit grotesque and exaggerated, but there's method to the madness. While the film's tone is alienating at first - I recognized personalities even if they didn't immediately coalesce into complete characters - as it crawls under your skin, its power becomes more apparent. http://filmcapsule.com/2015/11/18/the-mend-2015/

9. Thomas's rating of the film The Mend

10. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Mend

11. Warren Spratley's rating of the film The Mend

A lovely work, one with a comprehensive, tolerant view of psychology & human interaction. How does Magary manage to do what he does with magical realism, with gestural shading? As with Minnelli, Magary gets to the bottom of the mystery of living, how poetic we are when going around what sits unspoken between people. No film in the last 10 years has done what this one does with framing, auditory motifs, with life. <3