1. S Campbell's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Fassbinders first masterpiece carrying elements of the films of Douglas Sirk As a man becomes invisible to those around him and seeks a terrible way out

2. mubianer's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Easily on my top 5 Fassbinder list. First time I watched it I didn't get that it took place in the 50's, not early 70's, and it kind of bothered me it seemed out of time (not that I was even born in the 70's, but still). Great on second viewing.

3. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

4. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

The accessible melodramatic style belies the sophistication with which Fassbinder questions the classism and power dynamics underpinning the German condition. There's a refreshing, even daring, simplicity to his approach and, in the character of Hans, a fascinating portrait of the outsider feeling forced into a position of passive self-destruction.

5. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

6. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Fantastic melodrama about faith and faithfulness.

7. andrew's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Stylised but just about stopped short of being laughable.

8. moniquekidman's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

The elements of Hollywood melodrama are stripped bare to expose the cruelty and complexity of life. The sparseness of the environments is offset by the explosive performances, and they work together uncover the heart of tormented humanity. Most interesting is how every character, when they converge, seems to be a stand-in for Fassbinder himself, laying bare the contradictory and volatile nature of the artist.

9. James's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

So this is Fassbinder? People wonder how he made so many films, well if he makes them as roughly as this I can see how and it is so good to see someone getting to the heart of it without getting hung up on production values, just going straight for the jugular. This is how I like things made. It's a punk film! Irm Herrman has a face like a doll it's great.

10. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

A solemn and bleak look at a man living an unsatisfying life, carrying around a heavy weight of regret and resentment. Another fine film from the celebrated Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

11. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Five star after viewing, four star in retrospect and after having seen the sublime BToPVK (also up this week). The acting is horribly theatrical, though the message and writing are top notch - you'll feel disgusted, pity, optimistic and then stressed by the end of this tragic Munchen fable.

12. Superfrog's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Great exercise of balancing in making a the film just dull enough to let us think for ourselves and eventful enough to keep us going. The work is good but the theme is just not good enough to carry it. I was close to giving it a star more but i wont

13. Steve G.'s rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Nothing you have done can be undone.

14. SiIencio's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Perhaps it is all just a cynical examination of the human condition which aspires to higher summits but finds itself just on the cusp of a lowly hill flattened by a pedestrian narrative and arguably a less than original concept that we humans are anything but a conflicting and contradictory species. It seriously tries to be profound, revelatory, controversial, but the concept did not translate into a credible plot.

15. FISCHER's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Chef-d'oeuvre de Fassbinder pour ce terrible drame humain dans lequel Irm Hermann interprète finement un rôle surprenant d'authenticité et de profondeur. www.cinefiches.com

16. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

Fassbinder managed this sweet spot... enough cynicism to clearly see humanity in all its ugly weakness and toxic hypocrisy, but enough empathy to find it all hilarious, even beautiful - to sort of meet it where it's at... Darkly funny and trenchant satire, but social satire, never personal; at the personal level, everyone's equally flawed and searching. "We're all pigs." Best "fuck you" ending after Stroszek. 4.5

17. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

I’m finding every Fassbinder I watch is stuck underneath the shadow of the colossally good The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant. Every one of them seems to be lacking just by comparison, which isn't fair on the movies, and is a habit I'll have to try and actively avoid in the future.

18. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

19. James Mackin's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

A man tries to be a good man, but he is so shitty, and the world around him is so shitty, that he just can't. Classic Fassbinder.

20. Samuel T.'s rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

re-watch. I can't help but think of his films as, of course not only a portrait of a nation, but self-portrait, especially here. Irm Hermann is a tour de force, perhaps her strongest, or, as strong as RWF allows her to be. I mean come on, his two wives playing wife/ lover of a flailing, failing man knowingly driving himself to extermination via excess and extremity? Crucial Fassbinder. Herr R. as fruit.

21. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

22. Nathan Grey Hollis's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

23. grotescsetorg's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

24. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film The Merchant of Four Seasons

An engaging account of one middle-class man's life that employs Brecht-ian effects in the worst ways. That is to say that a large part of the emotional impact comes from the jarring esthetic and rarely from anything actually occurring in the narrative. The obvious Christian influences are also a bit too over the top especially with the last scene at the end and the child character never felt necessary or impactful.