1. natalieb's rating of the film The Mermaid

2. Eric Ortiz García's rating of the film The Mermaid

3. film_lies101's rating of the film The Mermaid

The CGI is hit or miss and the ecological message fin slaps you in the face over and over. Overall, it's breezy fun

4. Henrique Amud's rating of the film The Mermaid

fuck you to whoever said this was any good. (and yes, I liked Shaolin Soccer quite a bit).

5. Ryan Swen's rating of the film The Mermaid

So uneven and unhinged, which makes it a wonderful time.

6. Jacob Bearchum's rating of the film The Mermaid

A goofy flick with an anti-capitalist/pro-environment message. Yea, I can get behind it.

7. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Mermaid

Dont let this man making movies for all's sake.

8. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film The Mermaid

9. DenoResandono's rating of the film The Mermaid

That scene in the police station...

10. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film The Mermaid

Always the good stuff dreams are made of.

11. filmcapsule's rating of the film The Mermaid

The zany tone was definitely scattershot, crass and off-putting at first, but it eventually won me over with its charm. In particular, I think the date scene works well integrating its surreal humor into a framework that actually cares about character and personality. Not all of it works, but I have to appreciate the genuine - not affected - weirdness of this huge film.

12. João Abreu's rating of the film The Mermaid

13. Alice dos Reis's rating of the film The Mermaid

14. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film The Mermaid

Solid comedic work and a fun way to address a relevant social issue from Chow's latest film. I can imagine the impact this had in domestic Chinese theaters; I think the development of the story took a backseat to the environmental message that this film wanted to convey, however.

15. polkasan's rating of the film The Mermaid

16. oldeuboi's rating of the film The Mermaid

Don't let the shoddy CGI swizzles you, because 'Mermaid' still a fascinating dramedy with Stephen Chow's trademark stamped all over it. Although characters or plot are somewhat undercooked, but the solid gag & big hearted drama still delivers the fun.

17. Jason's rating of the film The Mermaid

Stephen Chow has a great gift for going big in a low rent way. Real big. Real low rent. Less a blockbuster than a blockdecimator, The Mermaid has left a serious mark on Asia. A crater. Eco-friendly crater. Even though the emotions are all based in a farcical word of italics and quotation marks, that isn't a CGI tear in my eye. Where did they find Yun Lin? I mean: Oh my Lord! My heart is a wounded bird.

18. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film The Mermaid

It can be described as half hilarious, half goofy.

19. msmichel's rating of the film The Mermaid

'Mercy, mercy me the ecology'. Chow's comic parable for the need for preservation of green space is a runaway box office giant in China that translates fairly well to western audiences. The comedy is very broad, as always, with a reliance on CGI effects that mostly impress. Chao Deng and Yun Lin are both well cast in the romantic leads and Yuqi Zhang makes a memorable villainess.