1. sebastian.blanco's rating of the film The Milky Way

Los diálogos eran una maestría bíblica. Pero en su desarrollo faltó explosión en la historia.

2. Krish sanghvi's rating of the film The Milky Way

If religious (Christian) beliefs and scripture came true, this film is what real life would be like. Belief in Christianity is filled with absurdity.

3. Juan's rating of the film The Milky Way

Sacrílega, blasfema y genial. Increíble el fusilamiento del papa, la profanación del santo rosario... Una crítica despiadada a la religión, la superstición y el dogmatismo, con ingeniosas transiciones.

4. Sin título.'s rating of the film The Milky Way

5. orlando.'s rating of the film The Milky Way

This film really drags since it's parodying a lot of droll ideas abt Catholicism & the relatively insignificant & boring discussion that brings them 2 the forefront. Something abt it isn't clicking w me but maybe one day I'll come back to it & find something that makes it a better film

6. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film The Milky Way

Bunuel’s ‘road movie’ my be his most personal film. It explores the distance between belief, spirituality and dogma, dramatizing the relationships between authority and religion, social class, sex and history. It’s a picaresque journey through landscapes of time and place led by two characters reminiscent of Vladimir and Estragon in ‘Waiting For Godot. It offers one of film’s most humanistic portraits of Christ.

7. koolacct's rating of the film The Milky Way

My favourite (or perhaps, simply one of the more agreeable films) of Buñuel's so far. Pilgrimage and discussion of religious philosophy, framed in a surreal setting more nuanced than his others. Technically, a great example, too, of his skill in directing crowd and large group shots. (Also, a clear inspiration to Raul Ruiz' Love Torn in a Dream, I think)

8. ArkenUltor's rating of the film The Milky Way

Somehow still entertaining even though I was lost throughout the film. I guess you might say the underlying jokes were lost in translation and through the passage of time. That being said, the characters were still interesting and made the film entertaining. The hobos' journey has a certain charm about it that makes it seem less of a struggle for survival and more of just an adventure.

9. the_mentaculus's rating of the film The Milky Way

Heresies, by the master of heresy. This film has my favorite Bunuel gags (the Pope dream sequence "overheard" by a passerby, the insane priest), and a more linear narrative (for Bunuel), connected through the Quixotic modern-day pilgrimage of the bums. A personal favorite. God bless Bunuel.

10. David R Williams's rating of the film The Milky Way

"...daringly deconstructs contemporary and traditional views on Catholicism with ribald, rambunctious surreality."

11. Monkey Flix's rating of the film The Milky Way

A lot of arguing about God. Probably makes sense to the religious. A waste of time for the rest of us.

12. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Milky Way

13. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film The Milky Way

I enjoy most Buñuels but find a disconnect with others. This, on the other hand, I did not enjoy at all. I suppose it was an ironic take on Christianity but I found it lacking humor for it to work.

14. Arf's rating of the film The Milky Way

15. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Milky Way

For me it captured that love/hate relationship that you can have with a religion. You love the stories, the mystery, but there's so much to dislike as well. It's probably the difference between believing in God, and hating the way organized religion perverts the ideas. Because it's all about interpretation. contd.

16. FISCHER's rating of the film The Milky Way

Deux débonnaires vagabonds partent en pèlerinage de Paris à Saint Jacques de Compostelle et vont faire de bien curieuses et révélatrices rencontres dans leurs longues pérégrinations à travers le temps, l'espace et la pernicieuse religion judéo-chrétienne ..... www.cinefiches.com

17. belemir's rating of the film The Milky Way

18. Aardsy's rating of the film The Milky Way

19. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film The Milky Way

My review: https://letterboxd.com/dynamitefilms/film/the-milky-way-1969/

20. HSBilly's rating of the film The Milky Way

21. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Milky Way

I saw this before I read anything about/by Bunuel. I thought: to be this obsessed with dogmatic theism, there must be something about it that speaks to him. I love the film, but it makes me feel very sad.

22. Ferit Karaduman's rating of the film The Milky Way

bitmek tükenmek bilmeyen hıristiyanlık ve tanrı eleştirileri içerisinde ayakları yere basmayan bir film... ilginç bir deneyim...

23. Stefano Pesenti C.'s rating of the film The Milky Way

24. Korhan Kalabalık's rating of the film The Milky Way

Katolik Hıristiyanlık içerisindeki dogmaları net bir biçimde eleştiren, hatta çoğu zaman dalga geçen avangart ve de sürrealist bir yapım. Özellikle polis-peder sahnesi hem tarihsel, hem de dini açıdan çok hoş alegorilerle beslenmiş.