1. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Missing Picture

3-4. Interesting; I don't think I've ever seen a documentary where a fictionalized figure of the creator was used as a way of actualizing the creator's experiences to themselves. I also think it's really valuable as far as putting a human face to the people who suffered at the hands of Pol Pot. Echoing one of the film's final images, I hope the director was able to lay some of his childhood pain to rest.

2. Noli Manaig's rating of the film The Missing Picture

That Rithy Panh's stand-in narrates in French can throw you off. He sounds like a Parisian rather than a French-educated Cambodian. Maybe there's a version in Khmer out there, otherwise this co-production smacks of the rehabilitation of France in these parts of Southeast Asia, as if it were payback for the French debacle in Vietnam, as if to say there are worse things -- i.e. Communism -- than colonialism.

3. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Missing Picture

I thought of the director's own S21 doc, as well as a very different film that uses miniatures to represent trauma: Marwencol.

4. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Missing Picture

5. ShawnD's rating of the film The Missing Picture

Impossible to describe, impossible to forget.

6. wilted's rating of the film The Missing Picture

The subject matter was interesting and evoked an emotional response but the story was told in a very dull, aimless way. Unfortunately the unique clay figure used as visuals were unable to make up for this.

7. Matt Kovar's rating of the film The Missing Picture

Amazing, moving, and heartbreaking. The really cute clay figures and landscape made a stark contrast to the subject matter, making the film all the more raw.

8. Julian Renard's rating of the film The Missing Picture

"Are we seeking memories, or are memories seeking us?" That's pretty much the question raised by this mind blowing documentary. Rithy Panh embraces his subjectivity and delivers a poignant testimony of Pol Pot's totalitarian regime, only 40 years ago. No history skills needed to enjoy the experience, go for it.

9. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Missing Picture

The more one learns about the Khmer Rouge, the more horrifying the story gets.

10. Clay_Carter's rating of the film The Missing Picture

This film is form equals function brilliance. The diorama form functions to objectify our understanding. Telling the story with literal objects allows the film to see suffering and ideological oppression and the dehumanizing gaze of the oppressor simultaneously. The personal essay which functions as the narration is also exemplary in combining historical fact and first-hand memory into a cogent, harrowing thought.

11. Ronald Sanderson's rating of the film The Missing Picture

For this filmmaker to have suffered and kept such an objective point of view, is in my opinion nothing short of incredible. A beautiful film, something one would probably want to see twice.

12. Lexi Bass's rating of the film The Missing Picture

What can you even say about this film? Beautiful delicate, genuine, honest, strong. Amazing. Devastating.

13. yasdnil's rating of the film The Missing Picture

I feel terrible giving such a poor review to a movie with such an important topic, but...ugh. Nothing was done to keep the audience's attention - it was the film equivalent of a college professor speaking in monotone for a lecture. I wish I could say something good about it, but nothing was memorable enough.

14. Kadjavsi's rating of the film The Missing Picture

massive effort put into this movie and a very special concept but unfortunately it made it very boring and slow

15. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Missing Picture

How not to be moved by this reconstruction of the life during the Pol Pot years? When collectivism and a biased understanding of some of the thoughts of Jean-Jacques Rousseau meet, the result is disastrous. Highly recommended.

16. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Missing Picture

Panh nuevamente invita a la reflexión a medida que acude a la memoria, no solamente la humana, sino también la fílmica, aquella que en tiempos de terror se fue fabricando con el fin de glorificar un discurso político. He ahí lo que Orson Welles afirmaba en F for fake, el cine como mecánica del engaño, o, como lo diría el mismo Panh, la imagen que está ausente, aquella que parece ser pero no es http://bit.ly/1w1z6dA

17. Fabio Ornelas's rating of the film The Missing Picture

Creative, beautiful and important.

18. nein's rating of the film The Missing Picture

The best part of it is original footage. I liked the figures but got tired of it in the end.

19. Jools Kay's rating of the film The Missing Picture

A very necessary movie, that shows its necessity in the way it is told

20. Keldon's rating of the film The Missing Picture

I feel like Chris Marker would have probably dug this. Also, did the dude complaining about "capitalist propaganda" just completely tune out the last third of the film where the filmmaker explicitly acknowledges that the alternatives to the Khmer Rouge (especially a growing American influence) weren't especially great either?

21. Su's rating of the film The Missing Picture

Ce documentaire est non seulement un acte de conviction, mais aussi de croyance en l’artiste qui doit s’opérer. C'est une documentaire magnifique, je l'adore.

22. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film The Missing Picture

Rithy Panh showed to be confident behind the camera and his panning shots prove what he wanted to: ‘a picture can be stolen but a thought cannot’.

23. Francisco Mouraz's rating of the film The Missing Picture

Haunting story. Beautiful concept.

24. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Missing Picture

★★★★ memory as a first draft of History.