1. Tatami's rating of the film The Mission

Falls a little flat. The pacing is one of its major flaw and frankly no characters stand out. Nice scenery but there just isn't that much to it beside that.

2. Didier Pigeon-Perreault's rating of the film The Mission

Étonnamment bon! Tout en silence

3. DenoResandono's rating of the film The Mission

Despite its beautiful presentation, The Mission - I think - suffered in its storyline. I found that the storyline is less engaging. I didn't feel the emotion in here. It made me less sympathy to each characters. That's a pity. But thanks to Chris Menges' marvelous cinematography and chilling music score from the legendary Ennio Morricone. De Niro and Irons are the rock stars in this movie. Not so bad and not so good.

4. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Mission

What it may lack in substance and certain technical details, it certainly makes up for in beauty and emotion.

5. sacajawèale's rating of the film The Mission

6. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The Mission

Spain & Portugal can't agree on how to plunder. To prevent escalation they make 'The Treaty of Madrid (1750): who owns what. As a consequence, Jesuit missions are wiped-out & thousands of Indians murdered. The scandal among scandals is the mendacious catholic church. It closes it's eyes, shuts up & ensures its interests: everthing in the name of god. De Niro is not believable, Irons average. Ray McAnally is great.

7. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Mission

I always love shots of nature especially when it has sublime characteristics. No shortage of waterfalls, jungle and mountains here. On the other hand the story really wasn't what it could have been. It felt too long and lacked in affective power.

8. Max le Moko's rating of the film The Mission

Un film déjà bien daté, sans doute l'une des Palmes d'Or les plus usurpées ! Tout est grandiloquent et prétentieux : la musique, les scènes d'action à la Rambo… En plus d'être une apologie totale de l'Eglise catholique, le film entier est au service des deux superstars De Niro et Irons, au détriment des Indiens Guaranis réduits au rôle de figurants bien gentils. Allez, un point positif : la photo et les paysages !

9. azoulay's rating of the film The Mission

Plongée amazonienne, le film prend des accents ethniques où les bons(indiens et blancs) sont bafoués et étouffés par les ordres venus d'Europe. On se demande un peu pourquoi toute cette énergie parfois très intense et fastueuse et surement très couteuse pour raconter finalement ce que tout le monde sait (et pas besoin des jésuites pour cela) : la colonisation sud américaine fut monstrueuse.

10. caro's rating of the film The Mission

Incredible movie with amazing actors, breathtaking pictures and a moving story that catches your attention from the start until the last minutes ! Definitely worth its oscar. A must-watch.

11. catweinz@gmail.com's rating of the film The Mission

la question du bien et du mal à transposer aujourd'hui... Enio Morricone assure !

12. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film The Mission

Replace religion with capitalism and slavery with oil and the film's extended meditations on personal freedom, salvation, foreign occupation and man's inhumanity towards man have lost none of their relevancy or ability to provoke. I found the film quite inspirational! Probably one of the most beautiful couplings of music and image, with some of the most astounding and evocative moments I've ever seen on film.

13. Rowan Ah-See's rating of the film The Mission

14. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Mission

I was bored coming into this film and became even more bored while watching it... at least it has a nice score by Ennio Morricone....

15. CafeGradiva's rating of the film The Mission

16. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film The Mission

Excellent performances from Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons, as well as a beautiful soundtrack courtesy of Ennio Morricone.

17. Jamie Scott-Dyson's rating of the film The Mission

Very pure and calming, probably a 3 in allot of aspects but a 4 for it's overall scope and visuals. I just felt so calm watching it, when De Niro is converted it was like a Terrence Mallick film Terrence Malick didn't make. Lovely with great intentions but not everything it could be.

18. João Rocha's rating of the film The Mission

19. StellaWasaDiver's rating of the film The Mission

I liked it more after rewatching with Joffe's commentary, in which he gives insights to production and intent. Then I watched the "Omnibus" behind the scenes documentary and liked it a bit less after getting a less idyllic portrait of the film's production. Mixed feelings, as usual. Not really sold on Morricone's score. It worked in some scenes but overall it was a bit bland.

20. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film The Mission

More interesting (to me anyway) as a dialectic on communism v. capitalism rather than on spirit v. material.

21. Spencer Draper's rating of the film The Mission

A film that is missing too much. There are great performances, lush cinematography and a fantastic Morricone score. However the film never really goes much of anywhere, and when it does-it is so unrealized that you question even watching the thing. To be honest, it feels like a three hour film that was severely cut. It boils down to nothing, and for a Robert Bolt screenplay that is complete injustice.

22. SmokeyPSD's rating of the film The Mission

Such a wonderfully realized score by Ennio Morricone.

23. willythesalesman's rating of the film The Mission

it has all the right components including the actors, the budget, the settings, and even Ennio Morricone's score but it doesn't delivers for squat. De nero's conversion and other plot points forces you to swallow this holiness that you're suppose to feel, but I didn't feel anything but disappointment.

24. Dave's rating of the film The Mission

Three stars strictly for Menges' work as DP. The rest is just "meh," and with main characters (De Niro) woefully miscast.