1. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

"Cure me, Father. I have no more money. I've done all I can to buy this last one. I will consume it only with your blessing."

2. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

The film is simple in how it conveys its message. Letting the people speak for themselves and (as much as translations allow for) not twist their words. The world that they inhabit is beautiful and lush, so totally foreign to the daily lives of an American. That is the film's greatest asset, and it knows it. I was most enthralled when the film portrayed that simply. Unfortunately, the film ran out of things to say.

3. Carlos de las Heras's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

La selva negra es una mirada bella y costumbrista pero incómoda que te hace cómplice del maltrato a los más necesitados, la forma es controvertida.

4. juan's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

No tendría el valor de hacer una película con un hombre enfermo mientras estoy sabiendo que puedo llevarlo al hospital y pagarle la operación con solo vender mi cámara. Mostrar la miseria sin atender sus causas es congelar el problema y abonar al estado de las cosas. Evidenciar las transacciones de dinero entre el documentalista y el hombre a quien filma no la salva de ser, en el fondo, una película explotadora.

5. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

I live close to the Bolivian version of this "modern jungle", and I'm sick of all the tourists taking souvenir-like pictures of people that have been culturally alienated and financially screwed by global capitalism. At least this film is honest about the sadness and frustration you feel when you actually get to know them. But I still feel like it didn't quite liberate itself from the exploitative gaze.

6. captainfez's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

What's your motive? *picks nose*

7. David R Williams's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

Beautifully photographed. Some of this was like a hazy memory of a place I had never been.

8. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

Immediately confronts the viewer with a series of constructed images of "otherness", and positions both filmmakers and audience in a locus of uncomfortable complicity in the complex social economy of exploitation it reveals. Neither an easy watch nor an easily justifiable one; does difficult = redeeming? Or just fetishistic? Brutal realities: "I'm consuming the sacred product, father. It's the last one I can afford."

9. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

The filmmakers have thrust themselves into the lives of the subjects, and the subjects request the financial assistance of the filmmakers. All caught on film, it is at once fascinating and yet highly uncomfortable (but in a "good" way). It brings up the question of what is the moral or ethical responsibility of a documentary filmmaker. It's a good question and it is shown (although not answered) onscreen.

10. ysbil's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

It is interesting to see, through the old woman, how the village people live on products of the jungle, and learn about the gossip. It's also interesting to see the other side of the filming process, where the question of money is omnipresent.

11. Foussadier's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

les sous titres sont restés bloqués ça gâche unpeu..:/

12. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

A very interesting look into a little known culture and the ramifications of exporting it. It gives the viewer a behind the scenes look at the making of it, which becomes part of the story.

13. caroldca@usp.br's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

Embora não seja declaradamente etnográfico, este é um dos filmes mais antropológicos que vi nos últimos tempos. Adorei!

14. Miggy Angel's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

15. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film The Modern Jungle

You take money out of your pocket, you pay your poor subject to cause a key scene in your movie and you call yourself a documentary filmmaker? Fuck off!