1. Nancarrow's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

Albiet boring at times, this is a masterpiece. Beineix just forgot to glue all the pieces together.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

Un film controversé déjà avant sa sortie en salles. Après l'étonnant succès de "Diva", il se démarque agréablement des clichés habituels du genre, et, malgré un partage tranché des critiques, dénote un incontestable et sérieux travail d'auteur... www.cinefiches.com

3. s.birowo's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

Solely for the appearance of Kinski and Depardieu, the rest of the film.. oh well

4. Pymo's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

5. John's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

I remember watching this film a bunch of times in college. My flatmates and I were huge Depardieu fans specifically and fans of euro movies in general. I am only posting this because of the warm glow of nostalgia that is washing over me right now. Sorry! Anyway, it's worth seeing.

6. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

Although it's another great performance,it's not one of Depardieu's best films.The info was misleading--he was supposed to be looking for a rapist.Instead,what was on display was not very interesting.A huge disappointment.

7. This is Jake Kath's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

A noirish tale set on the fringe of life. Where our protagonist strives to achieve two impossible things; finding his sister's killer and escaping the gutter, slipping into fantasy. From the score to the production design to the gonzo acting, I felt utterly enchanted and yet, a sense of looming despair within each frame. Definitely not exactly what I was expecting, compared to Betty Blue.

8. Harry Rossi's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

The style and cinematography of this film is absolutely amazing! Feels like Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett had a fever dream in France! Loved the noir story line but it coulda been bout 20 minutes shorter. I feel like the middle kinda lost its steam at lines. But overall I must admit that this was one damn fine movie.

9. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

The grittier, more competent albeit likewise grandiose French sister to Coppola's "One From the Heart" (you have to admit the similarity between Kinski's roles in those films, as well as the extravagance in the productions and the themes of longing for something more than where you're at).

10. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

Any examination of the crime that begins the film is not important; it's the emotional repercussions of the murder that Beineix is most concerned with. The literal decay of this character's psyche, as his obsession with revenge destroys any chance of escape, for himself and for those closest to him, is mirrored by the decay of this small harbour town, full of violent drunkards, menacing sailors and grotesque whores.

11. Sunday's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

12. a Smith's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

The use of soundstage(s) for much of the movie really heightens the surreality, I was reminded of similar usage in Dark City (among other similarities), although I kind of think they were more effective here. Maybe because they were more artificial?

13. Guy Sands's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

The original 4-hour cut of this film has apparently been lost. I wish I hadn't checked wikipedia. "This immense artistic loss reportedly still haunts Beneix today". This film is brilliant and, it seems, misunderstood.

14. Ally the Manic Listmaker's rating of the film The Moon in the Gutter

A very strange film. I was hoping to like it more, but it was just too weird. However, no one can deny what an interesting and intelligent filmmaker Jean-Jacques Beineix is. I recommend giving his films a try.