1. AdrianM.'s rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

>>> Film-phare des années 1970 qui dévoile un cinéaste écorché vif, d'une brutale sincérité et d'une déchirante tendresse, pour une oeuvre d'une exceptionnelle richesse. www.cinefiches.com

3. peaches and plums's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

hate leaud 2 much 2 b able to finish this

4. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

Jean-Pierre plays a beautiful manchild who has a way with the ladies, but really doesn't want to take too much responsibility. Most of the ladies are much smarter than him. If you don't feel like watching the whole movie, I would recommend the monologue by Veronika, played by Francoise Lebrun at the 3 hour mark. Pretty darn remarkable.

5. Sophy Romvari's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

Not sure if it's OK to love this film.

6. xrystyna's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

would've been a solid 5 if not for Françoise Lebrun's last monologue

7. Bengi Z's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

I love this film for all its honesty. I am speechless. Also, this movie reminded me so much of Andre Breton's Nadja, in particular how Alexandre was so full of himself, oscillating from experience to experience, selfishly trying to discover himself regardless of other's feelings or whatsoever.

8. senitree's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

I saw this movie, I met a guy and suddenly I realized I was about to enter in a thing like this... and then I discover he also saw the movie at the same time. lol the whole situation, so stupid and hilarious.

9. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

I saw this movie when it first came out. I don't know what I was expecting but I do remember it washing over me and leaving me devastated.

10. daftnymph's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

"you think you're recovering, but you're just getting used to mediocrity." alexandre is the epitome of mansplaining. veronika, with her messy milk braids and long black skirts, slowly won me over. first with her sullen, bemused reserve, and then with her confessional brashness

11. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

The best French-language film I have ever seen (high praise I know but the truth) and it isn't available on DVD because Boris Eustache thinks he should get more money for it. Travesty that his father's great work should remain so unknown thanks to this.

12. Michael Peer's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

At nearly 4 hours, The Mother and the Whore is a massive, maddening, repetitive, and epic piece of French New Wave cinema. An erotic examination of a ménage à trois and each member. There are undoubtedly moments of pure brilliance. It's unfortunate that the length of the film is so ridiculous. Still, if you have the chance to see this in a theater, do so, but get cozy. It's a long one.

13. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

Excessive, exhausting, repetitive, brilliant.

14. lndah's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

Brilliant performance. The best of Jean Pierre Leaud.

15. Kamran's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

An incredible monologue performed by Francoise Lebrun rolls out this protracted observation of man's, woman's, and love's pluralities of forms. Love all the cinema references, especially Alexandre's love for a 'girl in a Bresson film' (aka Gilberte--Four Night of a Dreamer). Undeniably sincere and uncompromisingly candid. 98/100 - Masterful.

16. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

17. Muraki's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

A revolutionary film. best dialogue-romantic-drama to be ever made?

18. Post Ironic's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

It's a travesty that Boris Eustache won't allow this film to be restored. One of the best of all time.

19. Warren Spratley's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

A rigorously structured portrait of post-May'68 French social & political attitudes, undoubtedly one of the most devastating films in cinema. There's not much to definitively say after only this single viewing, but Eustache is deeply concerned with the performative, w/ the particular ways style might frame, dissect, revolutionize social performance. Edith Piaf, Mozart, Proust, intellectual theatricality, despair.

20. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

Un véritable documentaire sur son époque. Par contre, les dialogues poétiques (et crus) peuvent parfois agacer, et ne semblent pas naturels. (comme si les acteurs étaient constamment en mode performance). J'adore le côté « tranches de vie », le fait qu'il n'est pas de ligne narratrice forte. Je ne comprend pas la durée du film. Une grande oeuvre, mais parfois pathétique comme la vie, lol.

21. Mohammad Hassan Movasagh's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

Des gens aussi beaux qu'un film de Nicholas Ray

22. Tutu888's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore

I wonder if anyone who consider this movie a masterpiece is able to watch it a second time!

23. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film The Mother and the Whore