1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Munekata Sisters

Oeuvre évidente, limpide et simple, sur les maux du coeur et l'impalpable nuance des sentiments dont le réalisateur maîtrise parfaitement les élans et les détours... www.cinefiches.com

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Munekata Sisters

'I have a shadow in my heart so I can't marry you even though I love you and I've been waiting 14 years for you and even though the audience is expecting me to do so'. That's it! Strongly recommended.

3. Francisco R.'s rating of the film The Munekata Sisters

Some of the characters positively reflect Ozu's joy in capturing social interactions, while others cast a deep shadow of discontent and outright hopelessness. Here he paints a beautiful sunny day against dark streaks of overcast clouds. And perhaps the discussions of tradition and modernity between the sisters reflected Ozu's shifting viewpoints on his own art. I love this film.

4. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Munekata Sisters

(3.5) Probably Ozu's darkest film. Aside from the odd comedy of Hideko Takamine's tongue-sticking and Benshi style speeches the restrained love triangle between her, old friend Ken Uehara, and sister Kinuyo Tanaka is overshadowed by the brooding figure of Tanaka's husband Sô Yamamura. Depression, alcoholism, spousal abuse and suicide join Ozu's familiar themes of family relationships and traditional vs modern values.

5. knockkneed's rating of the film The Munekata Sisters

saddest scene is when Ryosuke leaves Hiroshi's without a goodbye

6. Michel Poiccard's rating of the film The Munekata Sisters

“I drink when I have occasion, and sometimes when I have no occasion.”