1. spasmolytic's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

2. (arc)'s rating of the film The Name of the Rose

3. Silvoieski's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

I should read the Eco's book.

4. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

5. TheoElefthe's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

Two mice live in a movie studio warehouse and are looking for food. Suddenly one hears the other chewing. "What did you find?" he asks. "I am not sure," comes the answer. "It looks like a piece of film celluloid from an old movie. Let me see... Ah, yes. It is from 'The Name of the Rose.'" "And how is it?" "Nothing much. The book was better."

6. riraru's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

Zuletzt sah ich diesen Film als Jugendlicher und bestimmte Szenen und vor allem Figuren habe ich nie vergessen – das ist aber auch wirklich ein großartig inszeniertes Panoptikum des Schreckens vor und hinter diesen Klostermauern. Was mir beim Wiederansehen nun aber wieder einfiel, ist, wieso ich es so ekelhaft finde, wenn sich jemand die Finger leckt zum Seitenumblättern …

7. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

Sherlock Holmes nel XIV secolo...

8. lo0226's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

5/10. Thriller dans un univers religieux. Pas du tout fait pour moi, malgré un bon scenario et de bons acteurs. Rebondissements bien présents

9. J. O.'s rating of the film The Name of the Rose

A high point in Annaud's long and varied career. It carries itself with a haunting, weighty atmosphere. A terse and slow burning work of art that successfully adapts Eco's source material - living up to his masterful blend of history, social commentary, and pulpy mystery.

10. Rafael Zen's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

It's funny how I postponed the watching of this film. In general, it's a good thriller and contains a good historical background (and some interesting criticism about religion), but develops its characters with a disturbing weight. I just can't think of it as good acting. Way over the top - more than it needed to be.

11. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

12. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

death by smothering by big old books

13. Thresk's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

I would not know about this film if it weren't for the Swedish black metal band Marduk. "...Because you were inspired by the devil!?" "Yes... That's it. I AM! INSPIIRED! BYY THE DAAAAAMNED!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-jkkwQmxJE

14. Ottori Tekki Chan's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

i never watch this actually, but i've read the book by my fav italian author umberto eco over and over.. so i am very curious about what sean connery gonna do with william of bakersville character.

15. Henrik Schunk's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

A ingenious combination of whodunnit and historical fiction with a hint of social commentary poking its finger at the church as an institution. What's not to love ?

16. Igor Leoni's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

17. Diego Rodrigues's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

18. Burcu's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

"Stat rosa pristina nomina, nominae nuda tenemus"

19. Ryuu Baron's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

20. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

I will admit, I couldn't finish the book. It was an interesting idea that got bogged down in flagrant amounts of detail that went from illuminating to irritating. Annaud has done an admirable job of taking the best parts and distilling them down. Moody and atmospheric, this film is a ride. Anchored by a great performance by Connery I enjoyed this one. It isn't amazing, but it's pretty damn fun.

21. Olivia Reneé Saldívar's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

How did this slip by me for 31.9 years?

22. MarcH's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

Let's face it, the book as written is unfilmable. Best to meet this movie half way...they boiled the story down to a chilling, mainstream, adult thriller about BOOKS for gods sake. Not many multiplex movies sent audiences out of the theater with an appreciation for knowledge. Definitely on my Top 10 of the 1980s.

23. agostinellips's rating of the film The Name of the Rose

It is impossible to make all the subplots of such a complex novel fit in one movie. This is a very well crafted film. Not the best, but still very good.

24. All Is Grace's rating of the film The Name of the Rose