1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Solide série B menée avec poigne par un Richard Fleischer au mieux de sa forme... www.cinefiches.com

2. wiwitaek's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

3. L'immoralistee's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

One of the best noirs which unfortunately is also one of the lesser well known. The train setting reminds a bit of Berlin Express, another great noir, but this one has it beat in terms of edge of your seat suspense and plot twists. Excellent

5. Vincent T's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

I was 3 minutes into this movie and suddenly my memory came alive, "This seems familiar". Wait, maybe it's just a similar story. You know how those noir are, they're all the same anyway. Well to be sure I fast forwarded to the end and yeah, I definitely had seen this. The Narrow Margin is the first film (that I am aware of anyway) that I have seen and forgotten about. I didn't remember disliking it, so I rate it 3.

6. Shayan Bazri's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

7. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Como en las western, la misión será transportar una mercancía invaluable a sabiendas que existe un gran riesgo ante el acecho del enemigo. Los trenes incluso, un elemento que también es recurrente en el Lejano Oeste. Fleischer, a lo Hitchcock, va provocando momentos de tensión, se van sumando los enemigos sorpresa e incluso los aliados encubiertos. Todo esto en un espacio angosto y limitado.

8. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

9. The Macho King's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

10. Log Lady's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

A train has a lot of potential for Hitchcockesque excitement. In Fleischer's vision the suspense is unfortunately lacking and there are hardly any interesting stylistic choices, which drags the film down into a conventional crime flick. It's not just a bad thing (McGraw's tough demeanor is great and the surprise at the end caught me off guard), but I expect more from a film noir.

11. M Klein's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Felt very sorry for the policewoman. Kind of brushed to one side.

12. Neither/Nor's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

White middle-class conformist without a family vacillates between an incorruptibility restricted to the pristine 1950's suburbs and the ripping denotations of movement in modern existence, the narrow margin being both the heuristic system of the train's spaces and itinerary and the division of women in a corridor between culpability and assurance. The windows are movie screens. Windsor smokes through her nightgown.

13. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Perfect noir. Expanded (and early) version of North By Northwest train sequence. Also may have inspired some westerns: Anthony Mann's The Naked Spur and Budd Boetticher's "Ranown Cycle" films. The most beautiful thing about the movie is that the policemen always make mistakes, ordinary and amateur people. not the usual types.

14. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

One of those American crime films where you can smell the locations.

15. Tomi Mendel's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Excellent. The setting allows extended exploration of space and character. With every locked door or narrow hallway, the geography of the train creates obstacles and atmospheres. Story-wise, the public nature of the space means that while the heroes and villains can identify each other early on, they are powerless to act. Instead, it's a careful game of intimidation and secrecy told with a tense visual style.

16. Robert Karol's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Gripping and well-staged thriller, deftly directed by Richard Fleischer, making good use of the contained setting.

17. cinepheel's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

It's suspenseful and has some witty dialogue. Unfortunately it does get a bit tame at the end. Doesn't quite have the artistic merit of other crime films from this period, but it's well worth a watch.

18. Greg S.'s rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Excellent use of locations as far as the train goes but on a whole this fell a bit short for me the characters didn't feel distinct enough for me with the possible exception of a few of McGraw's insights about police work. The most interesting character in the film is cast aside and forgotten about as another poster mentioned. Still very worthwhile for noir fans. Worth seeing.

19. Brian O'blivion's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

The way noir should NOT be; a typical crime movie without the darker tones and despair.

20. SALESK's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

21. HeadGEAR's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

A good film, deserves to be better known.

22. Silenzio's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Cracking, tense film noir that grips you from beginning and never lets go. The remake wasn't bad until they decided to turn Hackman into a superhero at the end.

23. Dave's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

A fun, tight film that allows Charles McGraw to play the tough guy as well as anyone. A prime example of how good B-movies of the era could be.

24. House 0f Leaves's rating of the film The Narrow Margin

Had seen the remake, but I was still surprised. Loved it.