1. laura karl's rating of the film The New World

Great cinematography and pacing, the music is way too kitschy and cliché. I enjoyed the acting of Q’orianka Kilcher, she was the strongest of the three main characters. But the fact, that she was 14, when this movie was is deeply troubling. Which is one reason why the whole romantic storylinie didn't work at all for me.

2. Ethan's rating of the film The New World

This is a masterpiece of the cinema. Malick invokes the spirit of Stanley Kubrick and Andrei Tarkovsky with this underrated gem that is hauntingly beautiful and like any other Malick film it has the ability to suck you in no matter how mundane the things on the screen are. Q'orianka Kilcher is an absolute delight of beauty and talent and her grace is what makes this film great.

3. speedball's rating of the film The New World

****1/2 la versione da 172 minuti Imperfetto ma davvero grande

4. Chris's rating of the film The New World

watched the 3 hour cut and loved it. emmanuel lubezki could take a picture of a pile of dirt with a flip phone from 2007 and still find a way to make it beautiful - 9/10

5. Jason's rating of the film The New World

This really is testament to a vision. Testament by way of insane commitment. This is cinema practiced by a company of outliers-by-default. There is only one director directing anything like Terrence Malick movies. Though they inspire awe, however, I do not think The New World and The Tree of Life will age as well as his more recent contemporary-set stuff. There's just this aggressive sense of adults playing dress-up.

6. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The New World

Disappointing, in a word. I have come to the conclusion that just because Terrence Malick made one of my all time favorite movies, I'm not sure he qualifies as one of my favorite directors. Half of his work that I've seen I've loved (Badlands, The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life), the other half considerably less so (Days of Heaven, this, To the Wonder).

7. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film The New World

8. rado's rating of the film The New World

9. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The New World

10. John H. Nomedal's rating of the film The New World

A sweeping love-story where settlers and natives intertwine. An intimate picture of three people in need of love rather than a search of place which contrasts Europe and America. The movie doesn't have a pace but it flows like waves on shore. Although the sound design brings the nature into my living room I actually missed hearing more of the James Horner soundtrack.

11. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The New World

The source material and the period is perfect for Malick. Mesmerising and transcendent like all his best work.

12. doublelife91's rating of the film The New World

This is for the extended cut.

13. James Mackin's rating of the film The New World

The first Terence Malick film I'd ever seen, I saw it when it came out. My 12 year old mind couldn't really comprehend all the long shots, and I just thought of it as essentially the Oscar version of Pochahontas. That said, it's one of the more mainstream Malick films.

14. Alex Lewis's rating of the film The New World

brimming with the usual tropes, however, loved the shot (like 5 seconds) from behind perspective of the tribesmen in battle. Nice ending.

15. blyniukas's rating of the film The New World

I found it almost disturbing to hear natives speak in the words of whites. It's confusing at best. Beautiful - of course. Just doesn't feel genuine.

16. Ingrid Aldama's rating of the film The New World

17. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The New World

I think this was a really interesting direction for Mallick to go, it makes sense considering his take on narratives from a vey romantic, inter-human, head meets heart meets nature point of view. It's a story the world knows well, told with a new sense of justice through Malick's hyper-authentic style. Loved the voice overs being more in the moment for a change rather than the usual liberated thoughts.

18. NHassan's rating of the film The New World

The first time John Smith lays his eyes on Pocahontas and the final 5 minutes of the film, magic.

19. -REM-'s rating of the film The New World

20. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The New World

21. James Matthews's rating of the film The New World

It's a film you can pick all sorts of holes in but, and maybe I'm just going soft in my old age, I found it hugely moving.

22. Chris_Parker's rating of the film The New World

Malick's approach is inevitably quite frustrating to people who watch his films & choose to focus on banal dramatic conventions such structure & storyline rather than their metaphysical ambitions. The central question that runs through all of Malick's films is "What is man's relationship to nature?" In the New World, he gives us what is arguably his definitive answer, the sum total of his life as a filmmaker.

23. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The New World

Visual hedonism. Shot after shot is filled with painting-like scenery. Very much a Malick movie in the sense that this breathtaking and indulging beauty is paired with an abstract story that raises more questions than it answers.

24. Kyle Knapp's rating of the film The New World

Heart-stopping, hypnotic, quite possibly the most beautiful film of its decade. Kilcher is an absolutely breathtaking presence, and her Pocahontas lives so richly through this movie that the sight of her frolicking in the final sequence is more sure to make me cry than anything else ever put on film. The look on her face when she is presented at court sums it all up: effortless, beautiful, perfect.

← Previous 1 3 4 5