1. Huey McEvoy's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

2. Pipim's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

La deuxième partie est folle !

3. Duarte Ferreira's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

There's this rotting vileness lurking beneath the happy-go-lucky music and cheerful veneer of the production design. When darkness takes over the photography and the tone, up crawls some of the most striking and disturbing imagery I've seen in quite some time. It borderlines on satanic, at times! Truly perfect B&W cinematography, with some of the best lighting I've ever seen.

4. Marach Adipalin's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

We all need rest sometimes and find someone that look after us. If there's only one film that I can save in this world, it would be this one.

5. MisterColo93's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

6. denisu velica's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

beautiful corpse underwater with hair in the plants.

7. dionysus67's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

A superb drama on the very problem of evil and its absolute manifestation in the seduction of children. Mitchum as evil incarnate is ounterpoised to Lillian Gish protective embrace through the Manichaestic worldview of the film. This is a gorgeously shot and engaging thriller punctuated by moments of oneiric poetry like the famous boat sequence under the starry skies or the one at the bottom of the river. Dazzling!

8. Walker's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

A strong American Gothic tale with marvelous storybook-like imagery

9. F/K's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

Such a perfectly and masterfully made film. Film Noir and German Expressionism meet to create this kind of surreal fairy tale, and the writing is flawless, Southern Gothic meets fantasy dream-like. And the performances are excellent too!

10. bartkl's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

This is a wonderful film in so many ways. The photography is beautiful, the ethics deceivingly complex, and most importantly: the adventure is amazing. I'd expect this film to be able to appeal to young children too, mainly because of the acting and the romantic approach in which the tale is shown, which gives the film its strong warmth.

11. Homayoun Hajikhani's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

12. Ameille's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

13. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

Considered by many as an American classic... This is rather weak film, with an almost laughable storyline and a manichean puritan moral. Only a mention for the kids who play in the film and for the few atmospheric parts. Mitchum as a psychopath and false preacher is not convincing at all, dull acting.

14. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

15. DenoResandono's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER is the only movie from Charles Laughton as a director. It seems this movie was inspired by the German Expressionism style. But you can also called this movie a noir. Mr. Laughton is a very talented director. I know it's not a horror movie. I can feel the terror that came from Robert Mitchum's character. THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER has a great cinematography. Its compositions of lighting is awesome

16. gaporama's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

I usually hate films about children, and with a religious undertone no less! But this one really worked for me. There are things only black and white cinematography can do, and this movie is proof of it. The whole segment of the children's escape is simply sublime!

17. Maudie Osborne's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

Saw this on a NYE many years ago. Scared the shit out of me.

18. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

A striking biblical fairy tale that's quite interesting in the way it explores religion both as a redeeming frame for childhood and personal flaws, as well as an excuse for the wicked to justify their cruel. The use of high contrast between light and shadow is truly incredible, as is the way water is employed in its true fairy tale context as a membrane of the metaphysical presence within the film. Wonderful.

19. jhubbs's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

The use of light and shadow is grand, reminds of older German Expressionism. Preacher is played perfectly. The children over act and come off unnaturally, but that is a small gripe. 3.75

20. msmichel's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

Though not successful with the public or critically upon release Laughton's sole directorial effort is now considered an American classic. The gothic expressionism seen throughout is certainly unique with its mix of fiery brimstone, true faith and the innocence of childhood. Mitchum gives his most memorable performance here with stellar support from the rest of the cast. A story of love and hate indeed.

21. Cosi's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

22. Claudia Negrea's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

23. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

It is entirely possible we are all just John and Pearl on the raft dreaming up this technicolour horror show we call reality. It's just the most perfect fairytale. "With their hair waving all lazy and soft like meadow grass under the flood. Rains cold and the wind blows. All the rains is cold. All the rains is cold." (Cardiacs, 'Wind and Rains is Cold')

24. Zachariah Rigby's rating of the film The Night of the Hunter

Not a film of it's time - creepier and more convincing (despite it's dreamlike qualities) in it's portrayal of evil than most films of the fifties.