1. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Nightmare

As the first film to scare me as an adult this is a deserved 4 stars! Generally I'm often scared by video games due to the control being in my hands, thus heightening my sense of powerlessness by how inept I am at video games - sleep paralysis is a unique form of powerlessness that might strike any night. Really tapped into my repressed childhood sleep issues even if some of the visuals were kinda dorky!

2. Wing Narada's rating of the film The Nightmare

All talk. Boring. Awesome visualization, though.

3. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Nightmare

This remembers me so much of my childhood. I always had night terrors but was able to train myself to wake up. I know what it means to be fraid to open your eyes and afraid to close them but I cant imagine not being able to decide about it.

4. eleventries's rating of the film The Nightmare

prefería estar en una parálisis del sueño en vez de tener que volver a ver este documental(?)

5. Mariana Vilhena's rating of the film The Nightmare

dude I have sleep paralysis but this is nuts

6. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Nightmare

7. The Macho King's rating of the film The Nightmare

Interesting subject matter thats presented in a unique manner with how it is filmed,and at times pretty creepy,but it suffers from the use of laughable CGI in areas thats done in a clichéd way and it gets kinda silly when they start to veer into the direction of aliens.

8. Ismael's rating of the film The Nightmare

9. J. O.'s rating of the film The Nightmare

Some effective moments, if you've experienced anything like what the interviewees are describing. Otherwise, the total lack of explanation (either scientific or folkloric) means we're just listening to scary bedtime stories for 90 minutes.

10. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Nightmare

You know you’re watching an effective horror film if a mouse runs into the door of your bedroom and it almost ruins your life. While it’s going on, this movie is freaky as hell, especially because it is a thing that could really happen. The filmmaking is impressive in its ability to frighten, considering it’s a documentary, but the fear wears off almost immediately after, not lingering like better scary movies.

11. Scott Lucas's rating of the film The Nightmare

Don't you love when people tell you about their nightmares? Rodney Ascher provides a platform for eight more crackpot voices who are really good at freaking themselves out.

12. Laura Lavorato's rating of the film The Nightmare

This docu could have been great. But it isn't.The first 30 mins are ok but the movie does not go anywhere.It could and should have investigated the concept of nightmare across societies, in horror movies etc. It could and should have provided a scientific perspective.In the end it boils down to a few ppl who fight their bad dreams thanks to religion.I had to check sleep paralysis on wikipedia afterwards.Disappointing

13. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film The Nightmare

disturbante in maniera efficace per l'argomento trattato ma il film in sé lascia un po' il tempo che trova.

14. Diego Carrera's rating of the film The Nightmare

Bad documentary - but one of the most efficient horror movies of the year.

15. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Nightmare

So damn conflicted on this because on the one hand, [as someone that suffers sleep paralysis] it does capture pretty well the imagery of the experience (not the intensity, so much), but on the other, it provides ZERO scientific theory. The result, and maybe this is just a byproduct of the characters it follows, feels as though it has a subversive "turn to Christianity" message.

16. Violins By Night's rating of the film The Nightmare

Aside from some occasional flashes of truly scary imagery, The Nightmare really doesn't hit home in the way that it wants to.

17. Leroy Martin's rating of the film The Nightmare

i found it hard to sleep after this

18. Endless Eye's rating of the film The Nightmare

The concept behind this film has a lot of potential and there are a few genuinely creepy dream sequences. Unfortunately the style, tone and cadence of the interviews keeps taking you out of the film itself. This is a classic case of show don't tell. The more the characters tell you how scary sleep paralysis is, the less you care.

19. MarcusArcus's rating of the film The Nightmare

Directed like a reality-tv movie, but makes you curious about the particularities of sleep paralysis, and it personally left me with the dreadful thought that I will experience this type of dreaming tonight.

20. msmichel's rating of the film The Nightmare

Disappointing film after the director's 'Room 237' that looks at the phenomena of sleep paralysis by interviewing 8 people allegedly suffering from it and recreating their experiences with visual effects that are often quite under whelming. With the lack of medical or scientific opinion the viewer is left with just the word of the interviewees. Neither informative or scary; but made me want to rewatch 'Communion'.

21. Evan Schafer's rating of the film The Nightmare

Coming from a person that has twice experienced the phenomenon of sleep paralysis, complete with shadowy, demonic figures and inability to move or speak, I have to say that this film hits home in a horrifyingly sore spot. I rarely rate films of this nature with five stars, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen. It pulls you in and makes you feel like you'd better watch or it might happen to you after.

22. Sacred White Noise's rating of the film The Nightmare

it's all a sham, all actors taking the piss - none of them are real.

23. dave gunn's rating of the film The Nightmare

The reenactments are the real power behind this unusual documentary; they are unsettling and terrifying. The stories told by the victims exacerbate this terror by offering a relatable, human background to everything. After all, we've all had nightmares. This is a unique documentary and probably the scariest I've ever seen, but the director was clearly unsure of what he wanted out of this project.

24. ‏ㅤ's rating of the film The Nightmare