1. Aardsy's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

2. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

The film is slow, cagey, and sporadic. Unlike like the cleverness or charm of other films handling the issues of the film. It never settles into a genre, nor does it provide gratification to the viewer. This is done to a point, though it cheapens my experience The ninth configuration jumps from so many different configurations that it fails to make the necessary connections.

3. Carrie Hunter's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

A bit dated with depictions of mental illness being people who are wearing costumes. No thanks.

4. DrFirestone's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

This is a multilayered film about faith, religion, redemption, sacrifice, insanity, and so many other things, that it's actually surprising that this all works together and the overall impression is quite strong. However, in some aspects the film has not aged well, I'd say, for the most part, acting is a bit over the top too. Also, for some reason MUBI decided to serve us the awful TV version, 4:3 aspect ratio...

5. ShawnD's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

I was going to wonder how this ever got made, but you could practically hear the pitch meeting--combine M*A*S*H with One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by the writer of The Exorcist and voila! Plus, with B-list actors and only one setting, it’s easy to see how costs were low. Incredibly, the script won a Golden Globe. It’s over-the-top lunacy, but accidentally or not, it does raise some profound philosophical questions.

6. Viginti_tres's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

A movie that gets saner as it goes along, each plot twist bringing the picture into better focus, the films own mental issues being cured by the events it depicts. And what a set of events, more unlikely a combination of elements than the protein that gives the film its title. Makes ADR into an artform.

7. black frank's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

has the topsy-turvy upside down world ..flavor of catch 22 ...set in a mental institution where they practice a loose hippie form of psychotherapy...

8. David R Williams's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

I think in many ways Blatty's homage to 60's Italian Gothic horror ala Mario Bava - just look at the castle, the camera angles and zooms. But also the real sequel to The Exorcist - the existence of God and why he allows these terrible things to happen. Once again Blatty questions and the responding silence is deafening.

9. Matilda Höög's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

Couldn't watch more than 25 mins of it. Bored me to tears.

10. aconeyisland's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

[22:05] ...and upon receiving his instructions from control to begin his countdown he was heard instead to say "I am frankly sick of being used". Some time later subject officer plainly stated that going to the moon was naughty, impolite, uncouth and in any case bad for his skin…

11. Kevin You's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

This besides Dr. Caligary is the original Shutter Island that didn't get enough credit. It juggles homoeroticism and homophobia during an exploration about faith and humanity while remaining as an entertaining Hollywood-ish mystery thriller.

12. captainfez's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

I imagine the crew for this thing behaved pretty much like the cast. It's the only explanation. (Also: this is on blu-ray, so why is the Mubi version so fuckawful? It's like watching it on VHS.)

13. Honeychurch's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

i actually really enjoyed this movie and was about to give it 4 stars. but that last 2 minutes kinda killed it for me. Did not expect a sappy ending. And a freeze frame on top of it all!

14. Quattro's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

So dense, it felt much longer than it is. The castle is a memorable location, I loved how the rain made it feel so warm ad intimate, and at the same time isolated and threatening. The first half was the best, there were some great dialogues in there; the second one was pretty much a pity party, even though I get that was the point. Strange movie, isn't it. Did I like it? I can't figure it out myself.

15. Laura O'Brien's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

The Ninth Configuration is an impressive and enjoyable mix of dark humor, thrills, and controversial themes. Skilfully placed subtleties will provide some laughs as well as deep thought, if you pay attention. The daring contemplation of religion sets this piece apart. Be prepared, this film will leave you thinking.

16. Calvin Head's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

The Ninth Configuration is a complex statement of a horror film. The thorough setting and subtle imagery flex/stretch your mind beyond anything a description could provide. The theological questions undertaken by this movie are deep and insightful in ways I have yet to see in either a thriller or a comedy. The period that the film was shot in, this movie shows more of the director’s soul than any other work of his.

17. GuilhermeSteinhaus's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

18. Ezra's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

10/10 for the 80's gay night club scene

19. Jakub Durasko's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

Why are you showing this horrible destroyed version of this movie. Its beautifully shot widescreen movie, here at mubi you are showing awful 4:3 tv version of the movie, where most of the pictures are cut off. Given a fact, that lot of the Ninth Configuration is based on its visualisation, watching 4:3 just makes no sense.

20. Steve G.'s rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

More bar room brawls, less Shakespeare.

21. daniel's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

The background story to this film immediately grabbed my attention. With a group of insane military veterans all placed in a dark and isolated castle sparks suspense and interest. The Ninth Configuration is a film you must follow completely to understand its questioning of God and salvation. However, there is a dark humor to the movie in which the characters don't seem to intentionally make you want to laugh.

22. Miguel_GFloyd's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

The Ninth Configuration is darkly funny. It also makes one confront questions about faith and even madness. The film’s surreal components include castles, asylums, and insanity. It is littered with religious imagery that brings up questions of the existence of God, original sin, and the notion of salvation. It was tough to sit through the film because of the pacing and narrative, but still, a worthwhile experience.

23. Alex Thornton's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

A very pulpy style dark comedy written by the creator of The Exorcist, The Ninth Configuration (TWINKLE, TWINKLE, KILLER KANE) is a movie unlike any other. The movie feels like an allegory for so many things that its hard to comprehend. The core crux of the movie is one that questions the existence of GOD and the psychology of the human mind. While the beginning of the movie is quite slow the pay off is well worth.

24. Joseph Hall's rating of the film The Ninth Configuration

The Ninth Configuration is a pretty good mind game film. It questions the existence of an afterlife and love while keeping the idea that everyone is insane in the picture. I gave it a 3/5 because it was a bit hard to get into in the beginning for me because it had some scenes that just seemed to be there with no explanation.