1. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

2. De La Ghetto's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

I had no idea this movie was made by Roman Polanski. This is the second movie I mistakenly watched from this guy.

3. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

I really like the concept of unlocking dark Satanic mysteries in old dusty books that no one has read and it all feels like a cool supernatural film noir and I love this atmospheric slow horror movie. Great actors and the women look gorgeous. It may lack any real surprise and the final shot feels like an afterthought that you either will love or hate, but I liked it. So send me to hell.

4. Axel's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

I could watch this every day. The absolute best Johnny Depp movie. Also... I love books.

5. Ryan327's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

6. richardlawrn's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Emmanuelle Seigner looked gorgeous in this film! Depp is boring as usual. I'm impressed because it's hard to believe this is a Polanski picture. I think Lynch would have done a better job with this script.

7. Edna Sweetlove's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

A much underrated Polanski. Personally I think it's better than Rosemary's Baby. Total hokum (unless you're a practicing Satanist) but enjoyable hokum and brilliantly made. I like the sex scene at the end.

8. hexhunk's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Stupid, fun, nearly unwatchable.

9. DenoResandono's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Roman Polanski revisits satanism again since Rosemary's Baby. This time, Johnny Depp is the main lead. Like Rosemary's, Polanski succeed to build an eerie and haunting atmosphere from the beginning. The Ninth Gate is a mixture of detective story with some supernatural themes. This movie suffers from some plot holes. There's a few things left unexplained. The ending itself - I don't know - looks like a lazy ending...

10. FISCHER's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

On sort passablement abasourdi par tant de viduité et d'ineptie continues, à moins que l'ennui et la lassitude aient pris définitivement le pas sur la déception générale. Roman, tu nous dois une exaltante et rapide revanche ! www.cinefiches.com

11. Dalibor's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Thriller featuring satanism that doesn't feature any real thrills, revolving lifelessly around a search for books, and being just as boring as that sounds. The mentioned topic is heavily underdeveloped, showing signs of intrigue every now and then, just to never truly build on any of them. Add a spoon of corny dialogues by uninspired characters and you end up with a cheap dish.

12. Addy K.'s rating of the film The Ninth Gate

One of the greatest (and vastly underrated) gifts Roman Polanski has is the ability to make you laugh. THE NINTH GATE is a delightful romp in atmosphere and gallows humor, suffused with Darius Khondji's exquisite lighting and baroque production design by Dean Tavoularis (GODFATHER). Ten years after NINTH GATE, Polanski would "remake" this film as THE GHOST WRITER with a better script but same Hitchcockian-isms.

13. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

14. Mr. Paper's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Es muy entretenida la verdad, y su historia es interesante. Te atrapa incluso cuando esta película esta plagada de escenas tontas, sin sentido, con efectos especiales malos o malas actuaciones. Igual tiene cosas salvables, pero hasta allí. No es para verla todos los días, pero si vale la pena así sea una vez.

15. cinegeek.de's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Our Daily Free Stream: Roman Polanski - The Ninth Gate. Our Daily Free Stream: Roman Polanski - The Ninth Gate. Polanskis The Ninth Gate eröffnet mit einer spektakulären Titel-Sequenz und flacht dann langsam ab. Ganz allmählich, so dass es in der ersten Stunde noch Hoffnung gibt... die ganze Rezension sowie die für unseren Geschmack spannendsten Okkultismus Filme auf der Seite unserer Videothek cinegeek.de in Berlin

16. kris's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

3.5 It kept me interested and definitely left me thinking, i may watch this again soon.

17. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

18. Susana Bessa's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

One of the worst films I've seen.

19. antler's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

from my time as a kid, I had this far greater and scarier in memory. but watching it now again,it was more of a mediocre film, but interesting nevertheless.

20. Jake Cole's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Highly underrated, though its ending holds it back from placement among Polanski's best. Love how much suspense he wrings out of close-ups on pages.

21. Cruth A Bháis's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Non ricordo davvero molto di questo film, a parte la noia.

22. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

Like Eyes Wide Shut; conspiracies leading nowhere. The machinations of the genre used to suggest a character's state of mind; his fears, anxieties. A character on the edge in a world of fiction, in a film obsessed with the nature of fiction. Polanski would remake the conventions of this film with a straight face in The Ghost Writer. Here it's played for laughs, but the result is closer to the alchemy of cinema.

23. Greg S.'s rating of the film The Ninth Gate

There's a lot to like in bits and pieces and its pretty serviceable thriller, with some pure Polanksi moments. But overall I didn't get the impression the Polanski's heart was really in this one with the exception of some impressive set pieces and the offbeat use of his wife's casting as a demon(?) who knows karate. Other than that I'd have to confirm this a minor film from Polanski. Has redeeming qualities.

24. analeorne's rating of the film The Ninth Gate

absolutely fantastic. made me read the book afterwards and although very different, wasn't a bit disappointed.