1. eccestefan's rating of the film The Ornithologist

2. Vania's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Queered philosophical perspective on some religious traditions of the portuguese culture. Interesting film from this point of view... still, the excessive symbolism of the film, its metaphorical awckwardness make it hard to watch and to follow.

3. Gonçalo's rating of the film The Ornithologist

4. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film The Ornithologist

5. vordven's rating of the film The Ornithologist

6. Sergio Fernandez's rating of the film The Ornithologist

7. Renton47's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Being no strict scripture reading I'm unsure if this is a literal Sainthood origin story or a mock-up of one, but would contest that it warrants sincerity as a Catholic film. Albeit with an environmental bent, as the holiness referenced at the start frequently appears in proximity to nature, an eternal truth that owls are not what they seem. The spell of this film is the aural + visual divinity it finds in nature.

8. MarcusArcus's rating of the film The Ornithologist

9. Henrique Amud's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Rodrigues conjures up a really immersing sensorial experience for the viewer and as much I don't care for the religious aspects of the story, it didn't bother me at all. What really threw me out of it again and again was the completely ineptitude of each and every actor involved in this picture. Whenever there was any kind of human interaction it instantly made me want to turn off the tv. again and again.

10. rulesofachia's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Slow at times but quite creepy and interesting.

11. DSPRKY's rating of the film The Ornithologist

A transgressive, transfixing, terrifying journey into the innermost reaches of the soul by way of Portugal. This is interesting spiritual filmmaking and there is something to enjoy formally even if you are not steeped in Catholic history (I am not). Rodrigues succeeds at displaying the humanity of Christ on screen in a way that many have tried and failed.

12. Pedro Ramos's rating of the film The Ornithologist

"afinal não tinhas a asa partida."

13. Matt Richards's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Starts out like a beautifully peaceful meditation on nature and wanders into a morally ambiguous quagmire. Without knowing that it was a reinterpretation of Saint Anthony I felt like I was watching an externalised psychic battle of the homoerotic strive for acceptance under the weight of religious persecution. A little sniff of Stranger by the Lake as well. 3 stars.

14. AugusteB's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Unique storyline with the best goatherd seduction scene in film history.

15. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Some viewers will find “The Ornithologist” pretentious and philosophically boring while some others will see it as an avant-garde cult film of haunting expression. It will all depend on your openness and state of mind. (3.5 stars)

16. Aaken's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Bizarre and mysterious, sensual, erotic, puzzling and disturbing, Rodrigues takes us again on an intimate quest where he blends religious myths with his own soul-searching fantasies and spiritual desires. This quest results in a visually stunning work, where the boundaries between the actual and the surreal, history and mythology disappear.

17. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film The Ornithologist

7/10. Fuckin' weird movie. I was consistently unsettled while having no idea what was going on. The allegory is obscure enough that I may have missed it entirely. And yet, the ending is so terrifically bizarre that somehow it makes the whole thing worthwhile.

18. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Ornithologist

My mother was so confused at the end I immediatly assumed she had never watched a Lynch film.

19. Loud Rocks's rating of the film The Ornithologist

20. Diderot's rating of the film The Ornithologist

A movie that demands you follow its references studiously, and it's only blandly suggestive if you can't. What plays out on the surface is a mildly attractive erotic mysticism based on the beauty of its star, Paul Hamy. Could be worth looking at more closely, but maybe not.

21. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film The Ornithologist

22. PiarviRecherreen's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Traquer l'oiseau de mauvais augure.

23. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Ornithologist

6.5/10, my review: https://boxd.it/gFznl

24. Miya's rating of the film The Ornithologist

- a bit too packed (for contemplative cinema) odyssey made by the warm brother of von Trier and Weerasethakul.