1. MarcusArcus's rating of the film The Ornithologist

2. Henrique Amud's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Rodrigues conjures up a really immersing sensorial experience for the viewer and as much I don't care for the religious aspects of the story, it didn't bother me at all. What really threw me out of it again and again was the completely ineptitude of each and every actor involved in this picture. Whenever there was any kind of human interaction it instantly made me want to turn off the tv. again and again.

3. rulesofachia's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Slow at times but quite creepy and interesting.

4. DSPRKY's rating of the film The Ornithologist

A transgressive, transfixing, terrifying journey into the innermost reaches of the soul by way of Portugal. This is interesting spiritual filmmaking and there is something to enjoy formally even if you are not steeped in Catholic history (I am not). Rodrigues succeeds at displaying the humanity of Christ on screen in a way that many have tried and failed.

5. Pedro Ramos's rating of the film The Ornithologist

"afinal não tinhas a asa partida."

6. Matt Richards's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Starts out like a beautifully peaceful meditation on nature and wanders into a morally ambiguous quagmire. Without knowing that it was a reinterpretation of Saint Anthony I felt like I was watching an externalised psychic battle of the homoerotic strive for acceptance under the weight of religious persecution. A little sniff of Stranger by the Lake as well. 3 stars.

7. AugusteB's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Unique storyline with the best goatherd seduction scene in film history.

8. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Some viewers will find “The Ornithologist” pretentious and philosophically boring while some others will see it as an avant-garde cult film of haunting expression. It will all depend on your openness and state of mind. (3.5 stars)

9. Aaken's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Bizarre and mysterious, sensual, erotic, puzzling and disturbing, Rodrigues takes us again on an intimate quest where he blends religious myths with his own soul-searching fantasies and spiritual desires. This quest results in a visually stunning work, where the boundaries between the actual and the surreal, history and mythology disappear.

10. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film The Ornithologist

7/10. Fuckin' weird movie. I was consistently unsettled while having no idea what was going on. The allegory is obscure enough that I may have missed it entirely. And yet, the ending is so terrifically bizarre that somehow it makes the whole thing worthwhile.

11. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Ornithologist

My mother was so confused at the end I immediatly assumed she had never watched a Lynch film.

12. Loud Rocks's rating of the film The Ornithologist

13. Diderot's rating of the film The Ornithologist

A movie that demands you follow its references studiously, and it's only blandly suggestive if you can't. What plays out on the surface is a mildly attractive erotic mysticism based on the beauty of its star, Paul Hamy. Could be worth looking at more closely, but maybe not.

14. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film The Ornithologist

15. PiarviRecherreen's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Traquer l'oiseau de mauvais augure.

16. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Ornithologist

6.5/10, my review: https://boxd.it/gFznl

17. Miya's rating of the film The Ornithologist

- a bit too packed (for contemplative cinema) odyssey made by the warm brother of von Trier and Weerasethakul.

18. Jason's rating of the film The Ornithologist

The ORNITHOLOGIST is a sly despoiler of sacred cows, and a total shaggy dog romp, the development and direction of which any viewer will very quickly forego trying to prognosticate. While the movie is wild and a little feral (though immaculately formally controlled), this pleasure is ultimately the age-old pleasure of storytelling. The Christian subtext and all the skewed weirdness invariably evoke Buñuel.

19. Videograms's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Just when you think you know how this movie is gonna play out, it swings a right hook and throws you into the world of playfully fun bondage / biblical allegories / pig sacrifices / directorial narcissism. It's akin to watching a bacchanal play out.

20. mafaldasalgueiro's rating of the film The Ornithologist

a maior merda: com boa fotografia mas sem conteúdo e de um ridículo muito sem piada

21. Ana Sousa's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Gosto muito da Canção do Engate.

22. Noli Manaig's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Rara avis, this one. Rapt in admiring wild birds in free flight, the ornithologist loses his way & enters a terra incognita of sex, death & religion. Hallucinatory yet personal for Rodrigues, this is a pilgrimage en route to a celestial city of another redemptive, liberatory kind. Grounded in an enchanted wilderness and/or an imbalance of drugs, it is bound to stir up polemics with its homoerotic catechism.

23. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film The Ornithologist

Apichatpong Weerasethakul of Europe

24. affasf's rating of the film The Ornithologist

The homoerotic affirmation revolts saint’s credo into psicoan. canonization. The pilgrimage fathoms the carnal psyche lacerated by feminine affection (Diana, Athena Noctua, castration); an oppression that increments as strive for rebellion occurs (Pagan rites).Gay tantrum ceases in the ho(ly)rrific revelation that Jesus is(whatever union)Lord and letting Thomas expunge his doubt experiencing Christ wound on himself.