1. Matt Richards's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

Curiously odd. From the stilted deadpan delivery, theatrical lighting, deliberate staging and a large does of great folk music. It's easy to feel empathy for these characters, all seemingly victims of a bigger world than they struggle to comprehend. A good comment on change, adaptation, optimism and how things can shift in an instant and the ludicrous nature of an official piece of paper. 3.5 stars

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

3. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

4. Sergiu Scripcă's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

While there's some jarring tension between the very real and timely issue of refugees fleeing Syria (and explicitly mentioning ISIS) and Kaurismäki's stylized, atemporal stiltedness, the movie eventually finds a sort of grace in precisely that stiltedness (and in one of the worst restaurants in movie history).

5. AdrianM.'s rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

6. Shōten's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

7. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

Am văzut acum două zile pisica aia kitschoasă care dă din mână într-o biciușcărie ce vinde mici pe marginea drumului hahaha

8. Annie Gentil-Kraatz's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

It's not my favourite film from Aki Kaurismäki but you can easily recognise his distinctive style and humour with some music and old fashioned settings. I have never been to Finland but now wondering if people are really that stiff and if everything is that outdated. Does the police still use typewriters?! There is a clear divide between a more humane approach and the aggressive attitude of the far right supporters.

9. angelicidea's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

Country music in Finland must be huuuuge! Not many directors are able to tackle a question like this with so much compassion and humour.

10. Sophie Wilson Wardman's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

nice sentiment but the dead pan style just isn't for me.

11. Loud Rocks's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

12. Don Pagus's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

Dramma e commedia s'amalgamano per creare una pellicola agrodolce che sa di "miracolo". Kaurismaki è un maestro e lo si vede da ogni inquadratura, da ogni dettaglio e da quell'umorismo suo proprio. Orso d'Argento meritatissimo.

13. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

Kaurismäki only trusts words so far, keeps decency even in bitterness and seeks beauty however bleak the subject matter. Those qualities are good.

14. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

More of the same from Aki: average screenwriting and performances, masterful lighting and overall cinematography.

15. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

16. Denis Zordan's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

17. gropitse's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

He manages cynicim in a paced way and the topic of immigration with due dignity and avoiding any sort of kitsch. It's a minimalist and funny story of situational absurdities. I suppose the movie's main criticism will come from nationalist leftists.

18. Mr.Pacha's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

19. Bilouaustria's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

CINEMA _ Does Kaurismaki make always the same film ? No. First because he looks around at the world and adresses very actual topics. But also because his atmosphere is balanced with the help of music, working with "contrepoint", a light touch when it's dark, a terrible scene when you hope for the best. Sober (if you can say so) and in a simple way touching.

20. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

Some funny parts (mainly in the restaurant), but way too complaisant toward illegal immigration (and massive destruction of Europe! :x), and too ridiculous depiction of defending people against that as stupid nazi boneheads, so 80's ....

21. Renata A's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

Make your bets... I like Kaurismaki's home :)

22. Dada Kubin's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

Critics of this film (in Finland anyway) point out that Kaurismäki is only recycling the usual elements - minimalist acting, one-liners, guitar rock scenes, the specific type of nostalgia, the underdog ethics etc. That might be true, but the film’s well-made, funny and thoughtful, the script works and he’s a cinematic craftsman if any. So, once in five years, I’m quite happy to see Kaurismäki do his thing.

23. MarcusArcus's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

„Jean Renoir said, with ”Grande Illusion”, that he tried to stop the second World War. A letter said ”it was a lousy failure, I couldn`t stop it. Cinema doesn`t have such influence, but my honest try in this is to force the three people who go to see this film that we are all the same, we are all human. And tomorrow it will be you who will be a refugee. Today, it`s him. Or her.” - Kaurismaki at the press conference

24. Aukse's rating of the film The Other Side of Hope

I like Kaurismaki's style and I find it in his latest feature