1. El Biffo's rating of the film The Parallax View

1970's New Hollywood. Stunning frames, editing, direction by Alan J. Pakula. Cinematography by Gordon Willis (Godfather 1,2&3, and many of Woody Allen's best films including Annie Hall and Manhattan). I couldn't care less about the thin assassination/conspiracy plot, but it all ties up nicely in the end, and not in any kind of corny or typical way. I wish I'd seen this in the theater, but 1080p projection is ok, too.

2. letters never sent's rating of the film The Parallax View

3. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Parallax View

The only person I remember from this movie is Paula Prentiss. I knew of her from mostly silly films and she made an impression on me right away. Obviously talented, she was wasted like an American Kay Kendall. However, even in something as muddled as this, she is worth watching.

4. Jason's rating of the film The Parallax View

I am predisposed to being fond of the breed of 70s American movie that hinges on paranoia and gives voice to a fatalism verging on nihilism. However, a major part of the problem I have w/ these visually precise collaborations between Pakula and DP Gordon Willis is that their cold, clinical nature seems at direct odds w/ the unapologetic preposterousness they find themselves in the business of serving up.

5. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Parallax View

6. pluviosity's rating of the film The Parallax View

the movie worth for its title.

7. José Neves's rating of the film The Parallax View

Digital, rewatched. Rewatch a Panavision movie on Cinemateca's small screen will not be ideal, much less with the quality of the projected copy, but what magnificence! A film from a now imbecilled industry that dares to make a thriller in dismembered action, looking for the silence in spaces, which hyperdimension them, and to the geometry with which the camera (re)construct it. The final sequence is anthological.

8. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Parallax View

Excellent 70s conspiracy flick. The plot is far fetched but I loved it anyways for its illuminati like implications of a secret corp killing off politicians that stand in the way of its agenda. The direction and editing here is very tight. Beatty is good, as is the rest of the cast, but Cronyn steals the show for me. Cinematography is also excellent. Not much else to say, other than watch it asap. 4.5 stars

9. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Parallax View

A cynical post-J/RFK view of assassination-conspiracy-as-machine cranking out patsies on an industrial scale. The film succeeds at two levels, although neither is in the thin maguffin-esque plot (yes, all allusions to Hitchcock). Accomplished control of mid-distance framing, shock-cut editing and dislocated sound provide a sheen to a surprisingly dour, biting view of authority control with its bogus commissions et al

10. Psycoteraphy's rating of the film The Parallax View

Bluray now! Paranoia is so beautiful.

11. Thomas's rating of the film The Parallax View

Solid thriller. The paranoia and conspiratorial tone remains consistent throughout, but the earnest narrative suffers from dull clunky direction, and oversteps into pretentiousness.

12. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Parallax View

I admire its cynical 70s view of the world and there is some chilling material here but I felt that it lost momentum in the final third and I get frustrated that the organisation behind the conspiracy is so faceless. Warren Beaty's character is also a bit of a dick.

13. Ark V's rating of the film The Parallax View

They were really on to something in this great power play, inside investigation. Some beautiful sequences in here too. Who pulls the strings up top?!

14. Calista's rating of the film The Parallax View

A film with great atmosphere and fantastic cinematography. The latter half was a little slow but the ending made up for this. Thin on plot but maybe that's missing the point. Classic 70s paranoia.

15. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film The Parallax View

Monumentally cool; the chill awaking of the individual to the presence of the shadow state! Impeccably acted and fearfully made in symmetry and asymmetry, each frame is laden with dread potency. The cruel hyper-reality breathes fire over a Computer Generated posterity.

16. DanB3000's rating of the film The Parallax View

Wow they must have re-digitized this classic from the original film, it is absolutely beautiful. You could freeze every frame as a piece of art. In these days of Blair, Bush and now Trump, along with Beatty's bleeding-edge style (!), Parallax looks and feels like it was made today.

17. FISCHER's rating of the film The Parallax View

Un superbe et puissant film politique, directement inspiré de l'assassinat de John Kennedy qui nous retraduit avec intelligence, efficacité et punch, les arcanes d'un immense complot. En fait, un admirable et magistral chef-d'oeuvre de violence sourde et de dénonciation limpide que seul le cinéma américain peut produire... www.cinefiches.com

18. Gavin Erickson's rating of the film The Parallax View

The relaxed pacing compared to a contemporary movie is quite wonderful, the use of shadow in the visuals incredible throughout. Its a really good film, quite a surprise for me as I thought Warren Beatty would be a disaster!

19. Tja's rating of the film The Parallax View

Warren Beaty plays a strangely passive investigative reporter, so laid back his thinking and actions are always just too slow to catch the evil ones. More attention to investigation and less to his hair could be the solution. The tone is inconsistent moving from a western-style bar brawl to sinister senator election assassination. Our hero is not paranoid enough to survive.

20. Ed S's rating of the film The Parallax View

Check out the ADR at 43:06. Genius

21. Joseph Merriman's rating of the film The Parallax View

Really gripping, well made political thriller. If nothing else, watch this film for the fantastic three minute montage half way through

22. Ramzi's rating of the film The Parallax View

Perfectly fine film but it just feels as if something is missing. Great cinematography but I was never on the edge of my seat.

23. FleetingReality's rating of the film The Parallax View

An engaging film with some unexpected twists. It's not the strongest or most suspenseful script, but what it did it did well - such as allowing the viewer to be on a journey with the main character, while at the same time being witness to things he was oblivious to - helping to add to the suspense. Some nice cinematography and the punctuation of events with brief, slow-paced scenes, helped add depth to the experience

24. SiIencio's rating of the film The Parallax View

Fair but mediocre conspiracy film despite the fact that it sits well in the psyche of 70s America. Pakula delivers a fairly classy visual style but away from that the film lacks punch, depth and suspense. It also feels half-baked with a number of passages begging belief or being too naive to be taken seriously. Warren Beatty does little to infuse character to the film.