1. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

A masterpiece of a film long lost but found in the cellar of a Norwegian insane asylum. An effective silent film with extreme use of close-ups showing the feelings and faces of the cast in a way modern film would do 50 years later. Among the best acting I have ever seen in a silent movie. Sadly no music track exist but I used Vangelis' albums "Bounty" and "Odes" in the background which did wonders to the experience.

2. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

3. Walker's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

An austere spiritual classic. Love it

4. Mariana Cruz's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

Powerful, hypnotic and soul-stirring. I don't think I'll ever forget the sheer intensity of the experience of watching this movie. My heart is still tightened in my chest.

5. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

A religious experience, and not just in a good way. Personally I was always bored in church—and there's no more point in complaining that there are too many close-ups of Falconetti than that a church service has too many hymns. You either believe or don't, and I believe in the power of close ups, of angelic faces contrasted with bestial ones, and of the kineticism of a final montage. A, yes, passionate masterpiece.

6. abunchoffilms's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

Ill put money on this being the best silent film that has ever been put to celluloid. There is most definitely something to be said about the masterful stark image compositions., but the true reward is Maria Falconetti's performance which I would wager to be the best performance ever seen on screen. She's that damn good!

7. Ben Nash's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

The eyes are the most haunting thing in this film.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

Monsterpiece. Man these Christians love their suffering. It's always nice to see a bunch of old men trying to decide the fate of a teenage girl with mental issues. Suffering has never been more beautiful. Most of the film is shot in close-up so you can really pay attention to the suffering. They even take her to a torture chamber.

9. Django's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

The term masterpiece is overused to the point of being nearly meaningless but this film rates as being on the very, very short list of true masterpieces of world cinema.

10. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

11. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

4-5. It really is striking that for Dreyer's reputation as something of a minimalist, (he LOVED white) he directs the film to be something so intimate, dynamic, and visually busy. There are so many compellingly crosscut sequences (the haircut with the circus), and that's not even getting into the way Joan's actress captures all the rapture of salvation and the terror of death. It's a truly astonishing film.

12. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

A cinematic idol, a central figure that everything surrounds, a single face in close-up. I'm always afraid to watch this film again and again, and yet every time I find a new way to adore it. There are many judges, guards, and peasants that scroll in front of us, but only one Jeanne. Whenever the camera is moved, our hearts are moved as well.

13. CinemaHouse Productions's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

There's something fundamentally appealing, emotionally powerful when photographing a human face, expressing or at least seeing a psychological or poetic side to it, especially in the eyes. Carl Th. Dreyer's silent masterpiece acutes to all of these aspects to what the intensity of a close-up can arouse. The film is less interested in the history of Joan, than it is with the intense fear and emotion we feel for her.

14. Śākyamuni's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

La potenza illuminante del fuoricampo.

15. FISCHER's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

Certainement un des plus beaux films de l'histoire du cinéma. Longtemps, le spectateur se souviendra du visage bouleversé, bouleversant de Renée Falconetti, de ces gros plans serrés alternant avec la face de ses juges, un vitrail et l'intense regard douloureux de Jeanne. D'une beauté insoutenable... www.cinefiches.com

16. MistaRichard's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

A work of astonishing and supreme beauty. And hearing the trials and tribulations that went on just to secure a copy (presumably) equal to the original, only makes the viewing of it even more gratifying. Some films are essentials, but this one is vital.

17. nessmj's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

Falconetti's facial movements are incredible, cuts and perspective are somewhat dizzying, at times had no idea in what position Joan was resting (seated, standing etc.). the fire scene an absolute miracle, specifically getting a clear view of the cross in a moment when the smoke abates then is quickly obscured from vision again.

18. dordairobert's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

19. Huey McEvoy's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

20. Hugo Bonjour's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

21. bartkl's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

I recognize the incredible achievement of Dreyer in this early age of film, but the necessity of an exaggeratedly visual display of emotions limits its touching effect. Unlike some FW Murnau films from the same period which are accompanied by music, this feature was entirely silent, making it harder to stay focused. The camera was used very impressively, aesthetically exposing the clear power and status differences.

22. Khach Aloyan's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

never got bored of watching this precious piece of cinema again and again

23. Corrado Agnello's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

solo 4.5 perché mentre lo guardavo mauro mi beccava in faccia

24. AALC's rating of the film The Passion of Joan of Arc

Amazing cinematography! Close up, low and high angle shots perfectly reveal characters and their position in the storyline. Sharp and short shots maintain intensity and create dramatical atmosphere. And of coure, my applauses for the acting. Maria's Falconetti role is very remarkable.