1. Henrique Amud's rating of the film The Past Is a Grotesque Animal

A fairly good introduction to the craziness of Kevin Barnes (for those with short attention span), but it never stops to take a good look at what's happening. Too many pieces of interesting information are left unexplored and it feels like you've watched a really long trailer montage for a crazy, exciting story about a rock n roll band. Barnes doesn't care much for the past, and Miller cares just a little bit more.

2. valerie b's rating of the film The Past Is a Grotesque Animal

of montreal is my favorite band. this doc skips over a few of their albums like the majorly important "paralytic stalks" but it serves its purpose as an intro to the band. it seems like it's about as truthful as it gets. i fucking love seeing all the early footage and the fun live footage.

3. Sean Strauss's rating of the film The Past Is a Grotesque Animal

Through a portrait of singer/songwriter Kevin Barnes, Of Montreal's legacy is preserved in a kaleidoscopic 77-minute montage of inspiration, creation and performance. Slooshes rapidly through necessary clich├ęs without switching gears. The more frigid sentiments are warmed with honesty and a sweet, linear collection of gems - phenomenal music words and theatre - march forward, dusts off the magic box of desire.

4. David R Williams's rating of the film The Past Is a Grotesque Animal

Although I had heard the name before I really knew nothing about the band or their music. By the end of this documentary I wanted to hear more and would love to attend a concert. Also by the end Kevin comes across as a bit of a egocentric prick, but he has the vision and the talent to prove he is not far from wrong.

5. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Past Is a Grotesque Animal

I had always wondered why this band's magic had cheesed out after Sunlandic Twins... typical ego-story.

6. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film The Past Is a Grotesque Animal

"It doesn't hurt anybody... except those close to you." This is an interesting documentary about of Montreal and the obsession of making art.

7. dakotah's rating of the film The Past Is a Grotesque Animal

This definitely made me think. Barnes valuing art over relationships is dramatic and worth watching if youa are a creative person. The Past is A... is my favorite Of Montreal song. This shows an artist going crazy trying to top himself. The documentary falls short of really exploring these topics, however, and ends up ultimately unnecessary.

8. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Past Is a Grotesque Animal

doesn't get too in-depth or provoke much of an emotional reaction but it's a good introduction to the band.