1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Pawnshop

Avec la mémorable scène de Charlot auscultant vigoureusement un réveil ! www.cinefiches.com

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Pawnshop

One of the best Mutual comedies directed by Chaplin. With the exception of the ladder gags, everything works marvellously here. Highly recommended.

3. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Pawnshop

4. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Pawnshop

5. Buddy Love's rating of the film The Pawnshop

6. msmichel's rating of the film The Pawnshop

7. The Boreal Chorus's rating of the film The Pawnshop

8. Julia Miville's rating of the film The Pawnshop

there was a pawn shop on the main st of keene, nh that used to play this on loop every night

9. Miles Doornbos's rating of the film The Pawnshop

The sixth short film that Chaplin made for Mutual, The Pawnshop is yet another fine showcase for Chaplin's prodigious gifts of slapstick. Ladder gags on ladder gags on ladder gags. While it's certainly lacking the grace and genius of Chaplin's best work, there are worse ways to spend 25 minutes. Come for the clock gag, stay because you've been hit on the head with a rolling pin.

10. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film The Pawnshop

Totally dadaist and ridiculous, with the slapsticky action overwhelming any sense of story. But, still, I laughed. And I found the extended scene where Chaplin totally guts the inside of a clock from a store patron to be a nice gag, even though there's no good reason for it in the film. The kicker is where a streetgoer asks the dejected patron, carrying the destroyed clock, for the time.

11. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Pawnshop

hahah Chaplin is a time-less hero! :D

12. jamesey's rating of the film The Pawnshop

The comedy still holds up. I chuckled audibly a few times, and I was watching alone. The gag with someone carrying a ladder and turning around quickly never gets old.

13. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Pawnshop

Five stars for the scene with the clock, though.

14. DJ Summitt's rating of the film The Pawnshop

Flashes of brilliance from Chaplin. I'd like to think this was the film where ladder humour jumped the shark in favor of dough-based humour.

15. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film The Pawnshop

Very funny but not one of Chaplin's best films.

16. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Pawnshop

After just raving about The Immigrant, another Chaplin pops up on Mubi. While I certainly won't tear this short down, I won't raise it to the top of his repertoire either. The Pawnshop hits a handful of solid comedic bits, but unfortunately relies on repeating ladder gags a few too many times. 3.5/5

17. Jack Stone's rating of the film The Pawnshop

strange early exploration of the paradoxes of time, space, and capital. Fascinating stuff!

18. El Biffo's rating of the film The Pawnshop

Really stupid. Not funny at all. I love a great silent film, but this is just crap. Were these ladder jokes ever funny? I bet they were tired even in the 16th century. Lumiere's Workers Leaving the Factory is infinitely more entertaining. Why anyone bothered to restore this is beyond me. They should restore Wellman's "Begggars of Life", or "Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins", or "Mother, Jugs and Speed".

19. Linn's rating of the film The Pawnshop

Entertaining, but certainly neither as funny nor as timeless as many others Chaplins.

20. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Pawnshop

Dear Criminals, Please don't twirl your mustaches. It's a dead giveaway.