1. Aardsy's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

A polemic against tipping your waitress.

2. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

Bogey's springboard to fame is a bit stagey at times but he and Howard play off each other beautifully.

3. Log Lady's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

It's noticeable that the source text is from a play, but mostly it's only a good thing. The conversations give food for thought, Howard has incredible magnetism, Bogart's performance as a villain is impressive, and young Davis is lovely (albeit a bit too exuberant, which I think settled down later). The desert as a location is fantastic: the wind howls and the desolate views make the people appear small. (continues)

4. ‏ㅤ's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

And what did he do? He took my soul and had it stenciled on a card and filed and that's where I've been ever since, in an art metal cabinet.

5. alcools's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

He's a real old-time desperado.

6. StellaWasaDiver's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

Gramps: "The woman don't live or ever DID live that's worth five thousand dollars!" Alan Squier: "Well, let me tell YOU something: You're a forgetful old fool. ANY woman's worth EVERYthing that any man has to give: anguish, ecstasy, faith, jealousy, love, hatred...life or death. Don't you see that's the whole excuse for our existence? It's what makes the whole thing possible and tolerable!"

7. Spencer Draper's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

Most surprisingly of all you forget that this was a stage play. This has such an electric charge running through it that you find yourself unable to turn away, mostly due to the relationship between Bogart and Howard, who form two halves of the same coin. The gangster and the disillusioned intellectual have no place in this emerging America, men beyond their means who tower over the pitiful lesser-minded simpletons.

8. AKFilmFan's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

Very talkative but that's the nature of the play it was based on. Still, very entertaining and has good performances by Howard and Bogie (in his film debut).

9. pjjrfan's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

One of my favorites, Bogart and Davis. This is the role made for Bogart the relationship between Bogart and Howard is pure joy. this is the role that made Bogart a star or got him noticed. The killer and the dreamer both in love and on a one way ticket to death.

10. chanandre's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

[Cinémathèque PT #3: 35 mm]

11. rajiv ibrahim's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

12. Yuki Aditya's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

and one of Dreyer's fave movies

13. John's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

Bogart's performance is great, and I always enjoyed Bette Davis, but I could never enjoy Leslie Howard. Everything he does annoys me, I don't know why

14. Anastasia's rating of the film The Petrified Forest

Stunning film. Leslie Howard is enchanting!