1. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

2. josh scam's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

some of the most controlled insanity you will ever see; maybe too controlled. . .

3. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

I'm not sure surrealism in the service of comedy is surreal anymore. It's just comedy. Like the movie 'Airplane'. I prefer that the surrealism is taken seriously. This is a bunch of gags which is pleasant enough, but it doesn't fill your soul like 'Discreet Charm'. But you're not going to see a whole lot of comedies on my best of list, so take it with a grain of salt.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Retour au surréalisme, un peu bancal, du réalisateur... www.cinefiches.com

5. Aardsy's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Strange and disjointed, as expected.

6. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

My review: https://letterboxd.com/dynamitefilms/film/the-phantom-of-liberty/

7. Beau de Jour's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

The disappearing-girl segment is pure kafkian-humour. Whatever that is.

8. cinegeek.de's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Our Daily Free Stream: Luis Bunuel - The Phantom Of Liberty (french with germ. subt.). Alles geriet auf die schiefe Bahn als Napoleon 1908 in Spanien einfiel. Die Soldaten erschossen alle, die nicht befreit werden wollten. "Nieder mit der Freiheit" propagierten sie, so erklärt es uns Bunuel in seiner wilden Komödie... mehr auf cinegeek.de

9. Log Lady's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Destroyer of viewer's prejudices and preconceived notions, and the revealer of hypocrisy and sins of the bourgeoisie. Light-hearted, funny, and absurd, Buñuel's penultimate film is polished and structurally sound, but I still somehow felt disconnected (a deeply personal film, Buñuel mixed together his past themes with his own experiences). The idea of chance encounters seems ok, but kind of flimsy.

10. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

I saw this in my late teens, the same week I caught Discreet Charm and Obscure Object. The deadpan tone of the films made as much impression as the images and action.

11. mlstrx's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

late bunuel is best bunuel

12. Stefano Pesenti C.'s rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

13. Renton47's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

My favourite Bunuel's hit their target with the precision of the razor slicing the eyeball but this one offers up its own fitting cue with a sniper taking wild pot-shots into the crowded streets. Its seamless structure is impeccable but it feel slight, especially considering how many great films he delivered on the fallacy of reason and our thinly constituted belief in order. Fitting then he should offer this chaos.

14. Kelsey Hill's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

15. Muraki's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

everything in the wrong place (or situation)!

16. HSBilly's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

extraordinarily funny, one of bunuel's most pure surrealist films.

17. Kylie West's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

18. Ricardo Zambujo's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

19. Eugene Kotlyarenko's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

20. AugusteB's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Mhh. Some scenes are so famous it's hard to not like them. But I did.

21. teresa romã's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

22. AdrianM.'s rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Classic Bunuel. Crazy and awesome as ever

23. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

As Buñuel of all people must know, Surrealism is at its most effective when it's at its most irrational. So one of the big surprises of Phantom is how much of its symbolism was not just obvious, but shockingly literal. But see it: the structure is brilliant, and a comic lightness allows the film to make any number of big statements without sinking into pretension. History's artiest, most consistent SNL episode.

24. Polyglot's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty