1. vizija's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Subtle way to make satirical piece using absurdity mixed with surrealism.

2. mmassias's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

3. Reynaldo Goulart's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

4. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

WOW... true to its surrealness, the movie runs like a stream-of-consciousness dream...fun, witty, wigged out, incredible.

5. Daniel Araujo's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Couleurs pastels. Une histoire un peu bizarre. The reaction of the bourgeois towards surreal events. Très Buñuel.

6. dorusan's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Good piece of cinema. The wonderful ironies of life, our 'superior' morals, our taboos, our certain mortality that haunts us, the hypocrisy of all of us in certain situations, the thin edge of insanity, all of these are subtly illustrated by Buñuel.

7. lesminho's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

8. Thanos F's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Absolute masterpiece. Bunuel's serious surrealism and unexpected humour is a delight to watch. Following random characters from story to story, we fall in love with a cinema that refuses to fit in a storyline. Recommended!

9. Hodek Van Mealstrom's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Buñuel´s far far away form Earth treasure.

10. Marjan Mar's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Funny and utterly surreal. Loved it.

11. Ekaterina Chernyaeva's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

It's one of those works, no matter however it is a film, book or a painting, which are so relevant, perhaps, even more than before. Don't know what to add, really. Sur Real!

12. josé luis rangel's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

it's hard to imagine a time when fiction films could be subversive.

13. Trinankur Banerjee's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Apart from the surrealist game trope (cue: exquisite corpse), one of Bunuel's greatest abilities is to subvert melodramatic tropes at will. While many masters have tried this, nobody has done this so effectively like Bunuel, and Phantom of Liberty is probably his pinnacle in this exercise where almost all possible melodramatic situations are addressed and their politics, dissected. One of his last hurrahs.

14. polo's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

15. Vi Pin's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Totally meaningless, one of the worst films ever, only somebody with the credibility of Buñuel can get away with such a bad motion picture...

16. gorkem sever's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

17. michal k's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

just watched and what a disappointment I must say! I the humour here is so heavily handed, so crude and one dimensional. perhaps because there's no real bourgeoisie anymore? anyway, . the film grew old so quickly :(

18. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

Perhaps it didn't age as well as some other Buñuel's, but it seems to me that he just got lazy between "Charm" and "Object of desire" and decided to produce this pastiche of odd bits and ends. Do not watch it back to back with contemporary sketch comedy, such as Key & Peele: oof.

19. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

It took me a while to ‘get’ Bunuel. This is the one that did it. In a world as insane as the one we have created the most absurd occurances are accepted as normal. When the scenes of the man murdering people at random from a tower occurs in the daily news cycle we know that we’ve truly entered Bunuel’s world. If David Lynch made comedies they would look like this. Only the zoo animals appear reasonably aware.

20. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

I thought that I was getting better at Bunuel films, but try as I might, I always felt that I was kept at arm's length from this one. It really is a shame, but I'm sure I'll end up trying again some day.

21. koolacct's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

3.5 / It's almost as if Buñuel is just whispering to you, from a corner five feet away behind you, "SURREALISM" and hoping you catch on to his light blue thread weaved throughout, as well as his brand of innuendo, but ultimately giving himself up by throwing pictures of flightless dinosaur birds in your eyes

22. newgrange28's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

So ... why is the cover image from a different film? Is that some kind of cod-Surrealist move?

23. angeldromero's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty

A film so ahead of its time it's even hard for me today, decades later, to articulate how great of a piece of work this is.

24. zubee's rating of the film The Phantom of Liberty