1. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Excellent makeup and a surprisingly effective tinted ballroom sequence highlight this timeless horror silent movie where a crazed killer living in a sewer falls for a young opera star.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Un rôle mythique pour Lon Chaney que ni Claude Rains, ni Herbert Lom, dans des versions ultérieures ne purent égaler. Un grand moment du cinéma fantastique... www.cinefiches.com

3. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

In spite of Lon Chaney's performance I found the film a bit unsatisfactory and artistically uneven. But there are two great moments: the first demasking of the Phantom and, a real highlight, the colored sequence with the maquerade and Eric's appearance as Death. I also didn't like the music accompaniment with its use of complete classical mouvements (mostly Schubert) mostly without adapting them to the filmic rhythm.

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Essential. I love all of Universal's forays into horror/thrillers in the silent age (Cat and the Canary I enjoy a lot for its mixture of scares and laughs), but this is their best. This is the Lon Chaney show and his performance is worth seeking this one out alone. The great moody photography and early use of 2 strip technicolor only heighten the significance of this film. Still holds up to this day. 5 easy stars

5. Aardsy's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Lon Chaney powers through when the movie drags.

6. James Mackin's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Lots of great shadows, lots of people looking spectacularly surprised, lots of well written intertitles.

7. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

8. ikkini's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Puissant, cette première adaptation reste de loin la meilleure !

9. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

10. DVC's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

An extraordinary film. Great Lon Chaney

11. Chilton's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

A great Lon Chaney, terrific make-up and superb lighting save the messy story, but not quite enough to make this a very good film.

12. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

13. Maximiliane's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Pour ceux qui aiment le "plot" et la paranoiä pourquoi pas. Faible histoire et comme d'habitude le bien et le mal sont bien définis.

14. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

La historia de una mujer oportunista y dos hombres obsesionados por esta. "El fantasma de la ópera" es espectral y carnavalesco durante la secuencia en un baile (notable cita a un clásico de E.A.Poe), es gótico y expresionista tras bambalinas o bajo tierra. Es una experiencia macabra sobre la demencia de ese ermitaño hombre, vil mecenas intentando engatusar a una mujer que se adapta a su conveniencia; otra monstruo.

15. hideloveaway's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

This is very good, but the ending is a little weak, I think.

16. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

I am proud to say I saw this on 35mm film with a live orchestra- the best way to watch silent films!

17. Du Bist's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

The first scene is the best one ever shot, and the film score is outstanding. Some plot questions, though.

18. Dominic Rainsford's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Some beautiful balletic scenes. Lon Chaney v. good; others rather weak. Needs a real score.

19. Mark Pearson's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

How much conventions have changed since 1925. The audience then presumably sympathised at least marginally more with the awful Raoul and duplicitous Christine, whereas I sympathise with the Phantom, making the end shocking and sad.

20. msmichel's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

A horror classic that due to the magnificient performance by Lon Chaney stands the test of time. Makeup effects are still extraordinary as is the body language and expression of Chaney. Mary Philbin makes a radiant and expressive Christine. The early use of colour in one scene makes for one of the most memorable entrances in the history of cinema. Much prefer this version to all those that came after.

21. Terri Wise's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

I guess it goes without saying, but the ballroom scene is magnificent.

22. Etienne Deveau Beaumont's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Lon Chaney might be the best Silent actor ever , A true horror classic !

23. Guillermo Padilla's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

Great performance of Lon Chaney and one of the most mitic ends in the history of horror cinema

24. JamesPC's rating of the film The Phantom of the Opera

A near-perfect film adaptation, severely under-rated and, although touted as a classic, I suggest that most people who know it have never actually seen it all the way through. I recommend this film over the 2004 musical.