1. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

2.5 stars. I struggled with this and was disappointed that I struggled with it because, as always with the Quays, it looked so beautiful. But the tin-eared dialogue really shows up the limitations of the brothers' approach and I found myself just waiting for the next exquisite animated tableaux as though being led through a museum by an interminable tour guide.

2. Ludovic72's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

Voilà peut-être le film-somme des frères Quay : la cohabitation entre les animations et machineries subtiles (superbes "automates") et les personnages étranges et somnambules, y atteint un équilibre élégant, renforcé par une savante utilisation des couleurs et du flou. Un travail d'orfèvre onirique, qui impose aux acteurs (remarquables) un jeu décalé et irréel. On peut regretter que le rythme reste trop uniforme...

3. BUSTER TIERNEY's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

3,8/5 Rythme, musique, lumières, teintes, récit... Tout s'accorde pour faire trembler nos émotions, notre compréhension, notre logique. Cet univers est pour autant parfaitement homogène. Du court au long métrage, les Quay savent équilibrer leur esthétique et leurs intentions. Pas de panda, et pourtant, j'ai l'impression d'en voir partout !

4. Pierre.F's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

Un univers vraiment particulier avec des images floues mais toujours très belles qui supposent une mémoire artistique abondante qui va du romantisme au fantastique.

5. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

The visual imagination of the Quay Brothers (referring to the iconography of European fine art, e.g. to the depiction of Kythera and - in the end - directly to the island of the death) is really incredible - like the sound design.

6. Cichlisuite's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

Not the finest moment of the Brothers Quay I'm afraid. The short film form is much better suited to their methods and style. Overstretched.

7. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

They Quay Bros. savagely otherworldly imagery saves the half-baked plot of a story.

8. Aitor Ibáñez's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

Une relecture de La jetée de Marker. Ils ont même réutilisé la bande son. Pas mal. Prenant par moments.

9. bennievermeer's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

Though slightly more accessible than 'Institute Benjamenta', this is still heavy stuff -- what they call hermetic. Notions like fantastical, surrealistic and dreamlike just have to be taken more literally than usual to describe this film. www.brnrd.net/blog/archive/2006/01/30/iffr-the-piano-tuner-of-earthquakes

10. Rodrigo López's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

This is one of my favorites, visually impressive, it is like a dream, even the sounds are very important, the second time I watched it I did it with headphones. If someone know a movie like this one, please recommend

11. valolopez's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

Es visualmente efectiva; seduce y complace. La ambientación fué bellamente lograda. Acerca de todo lo demás aún no estoy decidida... Sin duda es una película que requiere ser vista más de una vez.

12. Walt Panorama's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

Like a dream. Gorgeous Quay visuals and dusty victoriana. The automaton and the piano tuner's dream sequence are especially impressive. Dialogue felt a little pretentious at times which brings my rating down 1 star, but my it's beautiful.

13. Mara Dean's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

The Quays are the insperation for my writting my own screenplays. The piano tuner was basically a dark opera by Dr. Droz. Malvina the opera singer is brought back to life by his sorcery. The piano tuner not knowing what his plans are, helps him make the Automatons work, and can only entrap them in his dark music boxes when there is an earthquake. At the end he entraps them and the doctor himself is re-born.

14. Dzimas's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

This is a lovely film to watch. Not quite sure what the Quay Brothers were trying to say. It makes me think of The Invention of Morel, but in a more operatic manner with wonderful performances all the way around, reminiscent of the silent film era.

15. Alvy Singer's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

16. Fernanda Bernal's rating of the film The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes

exceptional movie is .. the atmosphere of dream, the fog, the mechanisms of unimagined machineries, bazed in Bioy's novel.I love Quay brothers.