1. bryanvmh's rating of the film The Piano

2. ivana rajić's rating of the film The Piano

One of those embedded in your mind forever. The lace is most fragile. And this color palette is everything. Gloom at its best.

3. Lézard's rating of the film The Piano

4. murpheybed's rating of the film The Piano

5. FISCHER's rating of the film The Piano

Un éblouissant chef-d'oeuvre ! www.cinefiches.com

6. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Piano

Intense and stylish, this plays as an earthy revenge drama syncronised with fecundity, touch, sound and sensation, perhaps to compensate for Ada's muteness. It's stunning to the eye and ear, although not especially profound. Nevertheless it lingers on as a series of strong images set to to that (after a time) infernal tune. It remains Campion's most fully formed piece to date and is still her mainstream calling card.

7. Rupert Hunter's rating of the film The Piano

I appreciate Jane Campion for a number of reasons, but honestly fuck this colonial fantasy.

8. Sara Gaspar's rating of the film The Piano

2+. Holly Hunter was amazing without having to utter a single word. Too much melodrama for my taste though.

9. Sarika Joglekar's rating of the film The Piano

an intense study of character and womanhood. holly hunter's wordless acting is striking, if anna paquin's is a bit cartoonish. the way that this film avoids putting its male characters into stereotypes (particularly in the husband) brings a drawing complexity to the entire story as well as hunter's own character. fantastic.

10. João Portalegre's rating of the film The Piano

11. anacecil's rating of the film The Piano

Bella, dramática, triste !!!! Una joya del cine

12. amelia zhou's rating of the film The Piano

beautiful performance by all the cast, especially the two female leads. a film that is led by emotional heart more than anything else.

13. Catarina Monteiro's rating of the film The Piano

so beautiful! phenomenal acting and cinematography oh!!!!

14. nessmj's rating of the film The Piano

the moment Ada enters New Zealand her tempestuous disposition is often reflected in the mire that is the landscape and weather. we regularly see shots of her wading through muck. Alisdair and George in stark contrast as one who is wholly incongruous with their surroundings and one who has adapted. visual representations of abandonment, constraint, loneliness.

15. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Piano

3-4. I'm torn; it's such a gorgeous film with a really excellent central metaphor that allows the film to tap into the power of "Show, Don't Tell." But it's slow to get going, Baines' characterization rests so much on Harvey Keitel's performance, and it doesn't evoke meaning beyond the characters' circumstances. Still worth watching and unusually tender in its depiction of such visceral subject matter.

16. Eric Rucker's rating of the film The Piano

Holly Hunter's acting and piano playing had a depth and intensity for me not matched by the shallow anachronistic score, not matched by the directing that tried to be art with a capital A rather than making formal meaning, and not matched by the other actors. Dreadful, pretentious pap. Give me Breillat's Bluebeard. Holly Hunter's dark fairy tale wildness would be right at home in it.

17. jenesuispasanglais@gmail.com's rating of the film The Piano

The story? Beautiful. The acting? Superlative. The use of music in the film? Well done. The direction and cinematography? Good. Editing? Good enough.

18. David R Williams's rating of the film The Piano

Another one of those films that for whatever reason I just never got around to watching. Glad I finally did. Once again I fall back on the words of Roger Ebert: "It is one of those rare movies that is not just about a story, or some characters, but about a whole universe of feeling - of how people can be shut off from each other, how help can come from unexpected sources, and how you'll never know if you never ask."

19. brick_bro's rating of the film The Piano

A testament to the troubles of the human body and how the beauty of music can ease the soul.

20. Mitchell Glidden's rating of the film The Piano

Bad ending. Reminded me of Daughters of the Dust insofar as its a movie I'd like to like more, but its adherance to then contemporary aesthetics hold me back. I think this represents more technically accomplished filmmaking (though I'm sure the difference in budget is notable), but I wish this was as thematically subtle as DotD.

21. ronny's rating of the film The Piano

one incredible young actress, another whose silence leaves you speechless, and wild Michael Nyman. lovely stuff this.

22. Ghostman's rating of the film The Piano

A great and touching romance that is gorgeous to look at and features fine actors at the top of their game. It truly is a masterpiece of world cinema and Jane Campion clearly is an immensely gifted filmmaker.

23. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Piano

Campion is such a terrific storyteller, and she handles the romance here with a strong balance in tone. The entire cast is phenomenal, and I just love when Sam Neill gets to go full-out.

24. turnerBroadcast p3Dr0's rating of the film The Piano

As a man, I appreciate this film in two basic ways. First, as a beautiful love story set in a wild and beautiful landscape. But also as a story about feminine sexuality and desire. This film threads sensuality, desire and paints a heavily symbolized insight into the exciting, sensual world of women and their longing - of strength, and power, and attraction. And as always, I am left with questions as well as answers.

← Previous 1 3 4 5