1. Aardsy's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

I wish the narrator told me more of the movie.

2. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

Such a direful, boring and academic film. Lewin transformed the "picture of Dorian Gray" in a judgmental, beatified and heterossexual version. Clearly is completely missed the Wilde text and did the same thing that the painting did to Dorian in the end, he transformer one of the most magnificent narratives in a monster.

3. wiwitaek's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

The point of the movie ruins the movie itself and I'm more into hearing George Sanders talk shit about a lot of things.

4. pintobean's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

Creepy, creepy, especially Hurd Hatfield's weird, perfect face lol. One of the better adaptations imo

5. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

Unlike some of the reviewers here, I think that Hurd Hatfield is perfect for the role. He's a mix of Buster Keaton and Bela Lugosi haunting White Chapel's foggy streets. One of my favorite movies of the fantastic genre. Masterpiece.

6. Aaken's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

It is virtually impossible to do a film adaptation of Wilde's novel which will be satisfactory to all (most of them scored from bad to downright ridiculous). But Albert Lewin, created a visual object that exists on its own. The cast is nearly perfect. Sanders and Lansberry's performances are memorable. Hurt Hadfield captures the spirit of Dorian Gray and brings the character beyond how he should look. Masterpiece!

7. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

Was there ever anyone with a voice like Sanders? He epitomizes the upper-crust British d-bag. Lovely. The lead actor who's name escapes me gives a very underrated and reserved performance. A shame he wasnt given more leading roles. Cinematography is top form all the way through. An easy film to recommend

8. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

The perils of adaptation: Wilde's text can't conceivably be improved upon, and putting it on film meant using some trappings of 1940s gothic that make it feel more dated than an 1890s novel. E.g.: Dorian's wish granted by (I kid you not) a cursed Egyptian cat statue. But there are moments—in the photography, in George Saunders, in subtext—where it grasps Wilde's ideas and pulls off a few tricks of its own.

9. Maria Vieira's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

I am truly disappointed with this film. In the (marvelous) book, Oscar Wilde described and wrote every detail about Dorian's personality and change through the years; in the film none of that is respected. The director added details and forgot the ones Oscar Wilde gave importance.

10. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

Angela Lansbury is so touching in this film. It is a shame that with so much evidence of her abilities, And two Oscar nominations in two years, MGM limited her to supporting roles.

11. Addiena of Mubi land's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

I love the curiosity it brought and of course the mystery! and Les Fleurs du mal.. and it made me wish I could speak French!

12. lukewarneke's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

Dorian doesn't fit the description of the book, but in the context of the movie it works well. Something caught me in this and stuck. Call me crazy but I think it's perfect.

13. Danny Bailey's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

Hurd Hatfield was a miscast, but luckily that didn't hurt the film overall.

14. Alain Leun's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

Something was wrong with this film.I guess bringin' in screen such an excellent and authentic novel by Wilde is really a tough work.Well this film never really catch me in any monent.I found it really mediocre considering the admirable cast and the storyline full of perspectives

15. fleur de chair's rating of the film The Picture of Dorian Gray

George Sanders is the PERFECT Lord Henry. I can't imagine anyone more fit for the role. Meanwhile, I have no idea why so many film makers are hell-bent on portraying Dorian as Tall, Dark, & Handsome. He's a fair, young Adonis. I usually don't complain about small details like this, but I think it's important for any good adaptation of Dorian Gray.