1. Mariana Vilhena's rating of the film The Pillow Book

2. Michael Diers's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Avantgardistisch dargestellte Erotik, zudem als Biografie unter Ausreizung filmischer Mittel. Ein Film der etwas anderen Art. Betörend und gleichzeitig Erschütternd.

3. AVA's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Ungewöhnlich.Erfreulich.Unvergesslich.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Une oeuvre fort dense, d'une indéniable beauté, dont le raffinement et l'esthétisme risquent hélas de rebuter plus d'un... www.cinefiches.com

5. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Pillow Book

6. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Pillow Book

An experiment in form. Greenaway has always had an interest in cinema as the marriage of many arts: music, literature, visual arts, and theatre especially. Here he conducts his continuing experiment in melding the arts together, this time with a focus on literature. The result is hypnotic.

7. Disa's rating of the film The Pillow Book

8. Davidavich's rating of the film The Pillow Book

I feel like I'm missing a lot by not being able to read kanji. It's a huge layer of the story missing. Conceptually the film is appealing but so slow-paced and story-less at times that I couldn't dig in.

9. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Impressive on the surface, but the overall idea didn't really appeal to me.

10. marika ames's rating of the film The Pillow Book

11. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Pillow Book

12. Chris's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Ewan McGregor is paper.

13. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Pillow Book

The film definitely falls within Greenaway's particular genre of sexualized satire. Unlike some of his more successful films, the Pillow Book calls attention too much to its style, feeling more affected than other projects. Delving into cyclical narratives before establishing a firm base. The conceit of also teaching a young child of the pillow book is also painfully distracting and destroyed any chance to engage.

14. vasco's rating of the film The Pillow Book

15. Natalie Pierson's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Delicate and satisfying. I wonder what it is to live a timeless life in modern times.

16. dr0nestar's rating of the film The Pillow Book

greenaway's films always feel too conceptual. they are well executed but fail elicit much feeling from me.

17. David Huntington's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Weeping, weeping, weeping good editing. The frame-in-frame decoupage succeeds beyond expectations for a technique that would be hackneyed in other hands. It enriches the film with textual density, enacting the film's literary relish. "The Pillow Book" has the empathic grip that Greenaway typically lacks, yet it sacrifices nothing: Greenaway is as carnally, numerically, and formally obsessed as ever.

18. David R Williams's rating of the film The Pillow Book

"Most new American movies have a limited shelf life. They're put in the theaters to sink or swim. If they haven't sold in a week or two, they're yanked like stale bread. Greenaway's notion is that his movies stand outside the ordinary distribution channels. You may see them today or in 10 years, as you choose. And when you are ready." - Roger Ebert

19. jamesey's rating of the film The Pillow Book

All the sensual sexy stuff is fine, but what really kept me intrigued was the unique picture-in-picture editing and careful editing. Really cool way to tell an intricate story.

20. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Pillow Book

i'm a greenaway fan but this is boring, hideous, humorless, and interminable.

21. Chris Gillespie's rating of the film The Pillow Book

This film tells a story in a way I've never seen before. The editing is quite experimental and works well -- often times there are multiple superimposed images moving at once, shifts between color and BW, placecards with text, and the use of still photographic images.

22. Chris's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Great visuals, an interesting story (a bit slow, but worth it for the ending), and a consistently naked Ewan McGregor

23. Operation Kino's rating of the film The Pillow Book

"I was determined to take lovers who could remind me of the pleasures of calligraphy." If only I could bed beautiful women with my penmanship.

24. Myles's rating of the film The Pillow Book

Sensuous and incredible. Greenaway actually tells a story! While his work usually drags, this one remains alive first for the developing romance, then for the unexpectedly lovely "books" device. As always there are many incredible compositions. For some reason, it's also reassuring to know that in some alternative universe there's an elderly gay Japanese man in possession of Ewan McGregor's calligraphy covered pelt.