1. Edna Sweetlove's rating of the film The Plough and the Stars

This is a travesty of a classic Irish play turned into a John Ford Western with shootouts on the roofs of a "picturesque" lil' ol' Dublin. Barbara Stanwyck made NO attempt whatsoever at an Irish accent. Worth seeing as a curiosity, for the lighting and for the inappropriate music by Roy Webb. 70-odd minutes to fit in a 2-and-a-half hour Seán O'Casey play? Bollocks.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Plough and the Stars

Solide et convaincu partisan de la cause irlandaise, John Ford n'appréciait pourtant guère son film pour lequel il n'avait pas eu les coudées franches dans le choix des acteurs et du scénario, obligé de se plier au diktat financier et scénaristique des studios. www.cinefiches.com

3. El Biffo's rating of the film The Plough and the Stars

Barbara Stanwyck once said "Put me in the last 15 minutes of a picture and I don't care what happened before. I don't even care if I was in the rest of the damned thing-I'll take it in those 15 minutes." This film is a perfect example of that. 3.6 stars, not because of the last 15 minutes, actually only the last 3 minutes, but she is great in those 3 minutes!

4. F.Bieberkopf's rating of the film The Plough and the Stars

I admit that I have criminally underwatched Ford. Hence making some amends. Quite a wonderful film, what makes this film wonderful is the use of voiceover and the news-reel like depiction of war, quite an achievement in the mid 30s. A peak into the genius of Ford.

5. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The Plough and the Stars

A beautiful Ford film. The battle sequences in the latter half are really realistic for the time period this was made. Stanwyck's character may have problems relating to some of us born decades later from a feminist POV in her single minded passion for her husband but the situation of war and BS's commitment & sincerity in her performance can make up for it. Entire cast do well conveying chaotic behavior in war.