1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

L'histoire d'Isabel Archer, une jeune femme fort indépendante qui se laisse manipuler par une prétendue amie, l'incitant à se marier avec son ancien amant, Gilbert Osmond ..... Lourdement décevant ! www.cinefiches.com

2. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

Sick of feeling guilty about my adoration of Campion's intense fragility, I gave myself over, and not a second seemed wasted.

3. Igor Ramos's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

Staggering beautiful film! I think it lacks some of the wit of "The Dangerous Liaisons" and at times you might feel like you're watching an unnecessary melodrama about a white, beautiful and filthy rich girl... because Kidman's Isabel is presented like an intelligent, ambitious and even austere woman who eventually succumbs to the obligations of being and acting like a lady. You keep rooting for her to just run free!

4. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

2.5 stars. It doesn't approach the book but that would be a tall order. The one who comes off best is Barbara Hershey. Nicole Kidman is her usual opaque self and John Malkovich, who I normally like a lot, looks too much like the rotten man he plays here, by which I mean he couldn't fool anyone. He might as well be called Snidely Whiplash.

5. C's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

So many moments of pure genius from Campion and Kidman, Hershey, and others. Maybe half unintelligible without reading Portrait or a detailed summary beforehand and could have done without one or two particular interpretations/additions but overall incredible, painful, complex, and ambitious.

6. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

7.4/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-29D

7. daftnymph's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

fuck da consummate seducer; stylish and beautiful, but cloistered with this glaze of superficiality. none of the actors' interpretations manage to be quite believable, except for barbara hershey's. also... not a fan of campion's use of slow-mo.

8. aikeart's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

La necesidad femenina en una película. Muy bien ambientada. Excelente Nicole Kidman.

9. Warren Spratley's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

10. AdrianM.'s rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

Sooo slow and overly emotional. I didn;t have any time to read the book so I felt committed to watching this, but one should do it for a more effective comparison

11. Elena Lazic's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

12. NICOLE86's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

I think about the opening credits a lot.

13. MarcH's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady

A brilliant way to film a difficult novel. Excellent soundtrack as well.

14. scape's rating of the film The Portrait of a Lady