1. afuchs's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

I ate one star during the film because there were things I did not know and could not understand.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

Une oeuvre bienvenue d'une durée peut-être un peu trop longue... www.cinefiches.com

3. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

4. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film The Puppetmaster

A perfect example of the power of « micro-histoire » to tell the story of a nation through the perspective of the « ordinary peoples » and cultural manifestation. I admire the « form » (blurring line between documentary/fiction, ellipse and « fil the blank » storytelling emphasize the subjectivity of memory, the bressonian's use of off-screen narration, long shot perspective) A slow difficult and boring masterpiece.

5. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

Lo que más me cautiva de esta película son los momentos en que se torna testimonial. La voz en off que a inicio narraba, más adelante se materializa y toma las riendas de un narrador en primera persona. Hsiao Hsien alude a una suerte de cine testimonial, sin convertirlo en un documental. Está además su estilo de convertirlo en casi una épica. Son fases de un personaje y el contexto. Tono dramático y de aprendizaje.

6. James Matthews's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

I was lucky enough to watch this on a rather crappy print at Southbank last week. A wonderful film from a very great director. I still think A City of Sadness is his masterpiece but this runs it close and is more formally inventive with its blend of interview, drama and theatre.

7. Nom de plume's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

A brilliant masterpiece in Hou Hsiao-Hsien's filmography. Everything he did with his previous movies is perfected here, even featuring some great additions, thematically as well as staging-wise.

8. ARNMG's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

its typical example of boring minimalism..if acting could be little bit okey, it might be really interesting.

9. Kamran's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

Hou's sense of framing and deframing never more perfectly realized than here. 94/100

10. Brendan's rating of the film The Puppetmaster

The film completely opened up to me when I saw it in 35mm, as opposed to the VHS copy I had originally seen. It's both a transitory film (in terms of aesthetics, the camera moves far more than A City of Sadness), and a peak for Hou in historical complexity and experience. Rewatching it on film was like rediscovering Hou, a beautiful experience!

11. Aaron G.'s rating of the film The Puppetmaster