1. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Quiet American

3.5 stars. This is a good movie that features one of Michael Caine's finest performances. I have seen Michael Redgrave's brilliant work in the much inferior (apart from Robert Krasker's cinematography) 1958 version and cannot choose between the two.

2. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Quiet American

There are good moments and the film is faithful to Greene's colonial despair (and any film which tries to look at the perils of interventionism in an intelligent way is to be applauded). Caine is miscast but Fraser impresses. As is often the case with this kind of film, the non-white perspective gets insufficient attention and Phuong's character remains too much of a cypher despite Hai Yen's sensitive portrayal.

3. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film The Quiet American

False-flag terrorism, its filthy, horrific consequences and the sleazy glamour of its authors are well presented in this humid tale.

4. Beatrixce's rating of the film The Quiet American

Lacks a little depth but it's beautiful. And a must-watch for anyone with a secret soft-spot for Brendan Fraser

5. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Quiet American

All a bit tame really. Michael Caine brings something to this movie, but it felt like the two male leads were badly cast

6. claudio's rating of the film The Quiet American

Very nice film adaptation of Graham Greene novel, great Vietnamese locations, set design; stunning cinematography by Chris Doyle...and Michael Caine!

7. Luca Prosperi's rating of the film The Quiet American

2 stars. Michael Caine the usual true gentleman, but a movie full of exotic stereotypes and weak historical links. A good one to nap on the couch in the afternoon but not much more.

8. Magic Lantern Alison's rating of the film The Quiet American

I bet this is a really excellent book. So-so film. Brendan Fraser was surprisingly good!

9. Ross's rating of the film The Quiet American

10. Paul Relf's rating of the film The Quiet American

Although I've read many Graham Greene books I haven't got round to The Quiet American yet so I can't say how faithful this is or whether it's inferior or superior but intuition says it's probably slightly inferior. Michael Caine is great but overall it seemed lacking in suspense. Enjoyable but not as intense as I was hoping it would be.

11. innersmiff's rating of the film The Quiet American

As with a lot of novel adaptations, this personal Vietnam story suffers from lack of urgent narrative drive. Combined with a TV-ish style makes it not all that successful. Saying that, Michael Caine is worth a watch in anything.

12. Michael Clarke's rating of the film The Quiet American

A reasonably good performance from Michael Caine. However, actor playing Pyle is very disappointing simpleton rather like the 43rd President.Looks and acts like someone better suited to day time television.

13. SafeStanding's rating of the film The Quiet American

Great human story telling backed up by a faultless Caine performance, a man made for this role. Good solid interweave of political/romance.

14. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Quiet American

Michael Caine and Brendan Fraser work well together in the scenes of political drama, with a nod to how the Americans came to usurp French colonial power. The story of the love triangle is less successful but Fowler is a role perfectly suited for Michael Caine.

15. revelintheview's rating of the film The Quiet American

Beautifully filmed, a bit boring, but I'm convinced that Michael Caine was born to play this role.

16. Tigrão's rating of the film The Quiet American

Strange film. I feel like it didn't really know whether to be a romance, a war film, or a thriller, without really focusing on either one of those genres. Beautiful direction and good performances from Caine and Fraser.

17. Effendi Ben Smith-Malick's rating of the film The Quiet American

So basically the Vietnam war was all Michael Caine's fault. I had suspected this and had some doubts, but this chilling documentary validates my previous suspicions.

18. Pedro Franceschini's rating of the film The Quiet American

Really great story, specially from a critical-historic point of view, but turns out to be just a normal movie.

19. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy's rating of the film The Quiet American

Book is brilliant, well I read it in my 20s and thought everything was brilliant then. Caine is great, Fraser holds his own. I wanted to like this more than I did. Still glad it was a story that was told on the big screen nonetheless.

20. Stephen Campbell's rating of the film The Quiet American

Should have won a raft of awards for director and stars. The kind of film Hollywood used to excell at