1. Blue Roses's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

2. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

A fabulous little film, with Thompson being as excellent as ever. Hopkins is very good here as well, carrying the film with his stoic performance rife with subdued buried emotions. The film is slow and deliberate, so some may be put off by the pacing, but I loved it. A great film about regret, which we can all relate. Great adaptation and tight direction. Highly recommended. 4.5 stars

3. snowykatie's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Loved, but I think the conclusion could have been a bit more effective if they had stuck with the novel's ending-- or done something like it.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Dans la qualitative lignée habituelle des films réalisés par James Ivory, une oeuvre somme toute académique, mais fort bien interprétée... www.cinefiches.com

5. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

The repressed longing is captured perfectly by the leads. The entire piece is beautifully structured and filmed with Ivory's characteristic good taste and feel for the period detail - the contrasts and transitions in the social world of the 1930s and 1950s are especially well achieved. The subtlety and restraint are its strengths, even if part of me yearned for more anger and catharsis (my problem, not the film's).

6. moniquekidman's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Longing echoes throughout the vast corridors of this sprawling English estate and grows even stronger the further the characters get from each other. Anthony Hopkins' usual line-reading-as-acting is an irritant but thankfully Emma Thompson carries both characters' struggles with strength and grace. The film is most potent in the final scenes when both actors just barely release what's been built up previously

7. alimcintyre's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

A wonderful evocation of the strait-laced 1930s and 50s when feelings were not always adequately expressed, perhaps because people had been brought up with Victorian values. Hugh Grant said he had never appeared in a better film and with Hopkins and Thompson at the height of their powers few could disagree. An unhesitating five stars.

8. tealeaves's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

I very much enjoyed this. It was painfully sad and quite slow but I was quite gripped. Sometimes you are a bit too conscious of the wonderful acting going on, but it's just a beautiful film.

9. First Lady Dré's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Politics love & class - perfick

10. Tja's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Extraordinarily competent rendering of Kazuo Ishiguro's extraordinary novel. Hopkins and Thompson in perfect imperfect harmony.Sadder than sad and so English.

11. Rob Horsfall's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

12. roseros's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Subtle, intense, and deeply moving.

13. Penelope q's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

14. Superfrog's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Extremely well played. Worthy the watch for the adult themes and the character interaction. The story of a butler, or is it ?

15. JCPJD's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

I saw this 10 years ago after reading the book and was disappointed. The problem was...Hopkins and Thomas were too damn amazing in it. It's a story about invisible people and here are two of the greatest talents in cinema filling the screen. However, seeing it years later, the book much forgotten, I adore this for the FILM that it is. Such beauty, such restraint, such intelligence, such dignity. A great film.

16. miles's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

highly enjoyable and respectable.

17. Paul Relf's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Wonderful. That dull ache in your chest is this film.

18. Natty's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh + I really started being a huge fan of emma thompson of late it seems

19. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Another great literary adaption by James Ivory. Like "A Room with a View" it's based on an incredible good script, but casting Hopkins and Thompson has been the real coup - and a wise choice: Their intense representation of the two main characters is utterly admirable. I never feel bored by watching this rather sad but also complex film once again.

20. SiIencio's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

We assume far more than what it is revealed in this adaptation of Ishiguro's book. The political plot is slightly better drafted than the restrained emotional story that is key to the film. It is arguably the stellar performances what finally stand out but the subtle emotional turmoil is barely drafted and poorly understood. Ivory aims too high hoping to embrace it all but leaves behind more shadows than lights.

21. keithinhull@gmail.com's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

It has been an age since I saw this film. It is still impressive subtle and complex. The script is remarkable and the acting particularly by Hopkins is first rate

22. anacecil's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Unos maestros de la actuación en una excelente obra !!!! Nos muestran el dolor de la muerte, el dolor de perder el amor de la vida, la soledad

23. Daniel Iván's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Remarkably well crafted narrative and outstanding performances. This sort of movies are an example of how a well constructed story is the unavoidable foundation of any work of true art. Fantastic.

24. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Remains of the Day