1. Alex Flores's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Simply the best in acting. The best in Period drama.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Call Me By Your Last Name.

3. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

The saddest human is the one incapable of change. I don’t see how Emma Thompson didn’t win an Oscar for this.

4. Madeleine Davis's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Merchant + Ivory, Kazuo Ishiguro — a wonder

5. pluviosity's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

it's a tumultuous time period in the world that Ruth Prawer Jhabvala and James Ivory managed to turn into a beautiful emptiness, and Anthony Hopkins' was basically the entire embodiment in it.

6. riraru's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Liebesfilme, in denen die Liebe gar nicht so richtig stattfindet, sind mir ja lieber. Hopkins spielt die personifizierte Diskretion und Ehrerbietung brillant.

7. Call me Drella's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

8. Blue Roses's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

9. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

A fabulous little film, with Thompson being as excellent as ever. Hopkins is very good here as well, carrying the film with his stoic performance rife with subdued buried emotions. The film is slow and deliberate, so some may be put off by the pacing, but I loved it. A great film about regret, which we can all relate. Great adaptation and tight direction. Highly recommended. 4.5 stars

10. snowykatie's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Loved, but I think the conclusion could have been a bit more effective if they had stuck with the novel's ending-- or done something like it.

11. FISCHER's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Dans la qualitative lignée habituelle des films réalisés par James Ivory, une oeuvre somme toute académique, mais fort bien interprétée... www.cinefiches.com

12. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

The repressed longing is captured perfectly by the leads. The entire piece is beautifully structured and filmed with Ivory's characteristic good taste and feel for the period detail - the contrasts and transitions in the social world of the 1930s and 1950s are especially well achieved. The subtlety and restraint are its strengths, even if part of me yearned for more anger and catharsis (my problem, not the film's).

13. moniquekidman's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Longing echoes throughout the vast corridors of this sprawling English estate and grows even stronger the further the characters get from each other. Anthony Hopkins' usual line-reading-as-acting is an irritant but thankfully Emma Thompson carries both characters' struggles with strength and grace. The film is most potent in the final scenes when both actors just barely release what's been built up previously

14. alimcintyre's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

A wonderful evocation of the strait-laced 1930s and 50s when feelings were not always adequately expressed, perhaps because people had been brought up with Victorian values. Hugh Grant said he had never appeared in a better film and with Hopkins and Thompson at the height of their powers few could disagree. An unhesitating five stars.

15. tealeaves's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

I very much enjoyed this. It was painfully sad and quite slow but I was quite gripped. Sometimes you are a bit too conscious of the wonderful acting going on, but it's just a beautiful film.

16. First Lady Dré's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Politics love & class - perfick

17. Tja's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Extraordinarily competent rendering of Kazuo Ishiguro's extraordinary novel. Hopkins and Thompson in perfect imperfect harmony.Sadder than sad and so English.

18. Rob Horsfall's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Sad but a microcosm of the old English mentality.

19. roseros's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Subtle, intense, and deeply moving.

20. Penelope q's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

21. Superfrog's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Extremely well played. Worthy the watch for the adult themes and the character interaction. The story of a butler, or is it ?

22. JCPJD's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

I saw this 10 years ago after reading the book and was disappointed. The problem was...Hopkins and Thomas were too damn amazing in it. It's a story about invisible people and here are two of the greatest talents in cinema filling the screen. However, seeing it years later, the book much forgotten, I adore this for the FILM that it is. Such beauty, such restraint, such intelligence, such dignity. A great film.

23. miles's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

highly enjoyable and respectable.

24. Paul Relf's rating of the film The Remains of the Day

Wonderful. That dull ache in your chest is this film.