1. DenoResandono's rating of the film The River

It has been said that THE RIVER is Martin Scorsese's favorite movie. This is the first time I watched a movie from director Jean Renoir. It's a story about a woman who recalled her past in India. THE RIVER has a simple storytelling. It seems Mr. Renoir just let the story flow like a river. THE RIVER is a good example of how to use a proper Technicolor. The cinematography is gorgeous. Maybe I should watch it again...

2. Eriugena82's rating of the film The River

Overall I enjoyed it, but I often found myself bored as well. Visually the Indian setting is often beautiful. The elements of Hinduism in the film are also very interesting, in terms of the ceremonies, rites, beliefs and which are depicted as part of life around the Ganges, as well as a general philosophical undercurrent in the film. But other parts, namely the aspects of romantic drama, I just found quite dull.

3. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The River

I love this flawed film. The beauty of the conception takes precedence over everything. The ravishing cinematography is also a plus.

4. zohen lux's rating of the film The River

i think i would've liked this better if it focused more on native people and less on the rich white colonists..... plus the acting was atrocious and everyone seemed like they would rather straight up die than deliver their lines. also, pretty unbelievable that every female character was smitten with Captain Buttered Toast

5. FISCHER's rating of the film The River

A l'image de la fascinante fête de la lumière (diwali) qui s'inscrit dans une magnifique séquence du film, cette oeuvre de Jean Renoir, sereine et majestueuse, resplendit d'aisance et de naturel, loin d'un pesant et malvenu folklore touristique. Une réalisation qui à travers la luxuriance des décors et la profonde aménité des personnages, se présente comme une véritable leçon de vie et d'harmonie. www.cinefiches.com

6. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The River

I am a huge fan of Martin Scorsese and I heard that this was one of his favorite films. So I obviously sought it out and watched it immediately and I loved it! This is an absolutely gorgeous looking film. I loved Renoir's use of color, the film just looks so rich and exuberant! I really enjoyed seeing the culture of India and it's people. This film is a classic film and everyone should see it!

7. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The River

7.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2G5

8. Marina C.'s rating of the film The River

Two stars for the cinematography -- but can't bear through yet another colonialist white family story, even though it's entirely shot in India and the majority of the characters are asian.

9. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The River

I watched 'Summertime' and 'The River' as a double feature, so I feel inclined to rate them comparatively...the films were produced within four years of each other, 1951 -'The River'- and 1955- 'Summertime'. Both are generally focused on people outside of their native lands, the latter directed by an Englishman, about an American woman visiting Europe for the first time, whereas Renoir, the Frenchman, showcased...↓

10. nessmj's rating of the film The River

a film beyond rebuke - an unapologetic inspection of the loss of innocence and its seeming lack of indelible marking upon the world. the river keeps flowing regardless of tragedy, regardless of individual change. achingly beautiful, the impermanence coupled with a universe of cyclical movement.

11. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film The River

The beginning comes to an end, and the end begins. 3.5

12. JoaoM's rating of the film The River

Like a lovely Autumn afternoon that feels just like Summer.

13. Adam GR's rating of the film The River

The imagery sustains. I commend the narrative for these women- the red herring of romance in a story of death, life, and self-actualization. The art direction was on point. The narration was a bit too Margaret Meadey for me, but nonetheless, I enjoyed this obscure art classic.

14. faerie's rating of the film The River

dépaysant mais trop classique.

15. Tibulle85's rating of the film The River

Un film au rythme langoureux, comme le fleuve qui est en son centre. Une belle méditation sur la vie (mais aussi la mort). La mise en scène est classique, mais superbe. Surtout, quel bonheur de voir un réalisateur sublimer le pays qui sert de cadre au film et ses habitants (à comparer à l'Inde en toc proposée par F. Lang quelques années plus tard...). Je n'aurai jamais autant voyagé en Inde qu'à travers Mubi!

16. SpacePirate's rating of the film The River

One star added for the fabulous technicolor cinematography, otherwise quite a meandering film and not up to the standard set by other Renoir films

17. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The River

A lovesick ode to childhood and an honest portrayal of coming of age. Well directed and acted with grace and emotion, this is a lavishly shot story of woe and joy in a place of gorgeous colors and natural and built beauty. Most all of the performers shine throughout, particularly the main lead. Delicate and yet damagingly moving tale of young adulthood and growing pains.

18. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film The River

Huit années avant Fritz Lang (Le Tigre du Bengale, Le Tombeau Hindou), Renoir nous livre sa vision mystique de l'Inde. En 66 ans cette chronique poétique et naturaliste n'a rien perdu de sa force tranquille, ni aucune ride.

19. Ludovic72's rating of the film The River

Malgré de belles images et une dernière partie plutôt intéressante, le symbolisme et les conventions alourdissent trop le propos... 3,5 / 5

20. Olivier Serafinowicz's rating of the film The River

2.5. Visually stunning shots and good scenogaphy. But it does indeed take time to go from childhood to love.

21. totochvilli's rating of the film The River

Ce film est une douce rêverie des indes qui nous emporte si l'on y est disposé vers un voyage dans le temps. Il prend son temps pour poser un monde et une atmosphère. Certains plans sont d'une rare beauté. Evidemment il y'a des longueurs et certaines intrigues peuvent nous paraître désuètes. Enfin il y'a ce monde colonial dans lequel les autochtones ne sont que des ombres...

22. Arnaud Millan's rating of the film The River

Could the world be made of children

23. cyrikelly's rating of the film The River

Jean RENOIR un avant et un après LA REGLE DU JEU. Un cinéma exceptionnel. Merci M. Jean RENOIR

24. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The River