1. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Majewski, upon seeing the sad state of modern opera, was so moved to intervene on the medium’s behalf that he dropped everything to write & score his own. Only much later, after a failed staging, was it reconceived for film. The result is a conceptually dense & challenging 90 minutes, rich, if approaching overwraught, with symbolism & evocation. Something like Can Xue's work, made beautiful. Strange & rewarding. 3.75

2. Larry Barnard's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Wow! I was worried that though I loved the premise I wasn't feeling the film viscerally. I needn't've worried, by the summer sequence I was hooked. The fauna! The fawn! A wonderful reminder that no other art form can capture the entirety of what life is better than cinema. We are, at our best, such an amazing community. I feel completely satisfied & humbled. 4.8, only because maybe the libretto was superfluous.

3. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Roe's Room

An experimental and metaphorical audiovisual journey through life to death. Worth watching if you have enough patience to explore the images against the background of the often minimalistic music.

4. Alma's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Really torn about this. In the first 15 minutes it's utterly transcendent. The poetic excess of the music, though, would have had to remain the only poetic excess. Unfortunately the visual elements are just too much, the allegory too heavily symbolic, and they somehow cancel out the power of the music and everyday scenes. At its best though, the blank walls and silent faces of the family just reverberate into space.

5. msmichel's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Majewski is often written off as an 'museum installation' or 'high art' director with comparisons to Barney and the more challenging elements of Greenaway, but this film along with the later 'Mill and the Cross' prove he has an unique voice and vision. Precisely constructed and melded with a libretto score by Majewski and composer Jozef Skrzek with memorable cinematography by Adam Sikora (use of mirrors and windows).

6. Ale/M's rating of the film The Roe's Room

7. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Huh? Maybe it's just me but it's too way out there to understand. I was lost from the beginning when the family wants to eat their television set.

8. David R Williams's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Yeah - I really struggled with this. Cinema as art. One Mubi reviewer said "reminiscent of Greenaway" - I can see that.

9. Craig Werner's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Magical meditation on the seasons, time, family, morality.

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Maybe a bit too clever. Set design and movement reminiscent of Greenaway.

11. between7skies's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Surreal, elegiac, dreamscapes.Great art movie.

12. Dogville59's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Exquisite music and mise-en-scene. beautiful. Could interpret it in many ways or just enjoy for itself - a thing of beauty.

13. Alan Marcus's rating of the film The Roe's Room

Reference work and truly inspiring

14. Johan DF's rating of the film The Roe's Room

“Majewski’s imagninative features are all distinguished by a unique sensibility hovering between absurd and metaphysical, profane and beautiful.” Laurence Kardish MOMA, New York

15. Andrei Herea's rating of the film The Roe's Room

A masterpiece of its kind. Every frame is a 'tableaux vivant' on its own. No wonder the director went on doing The Mill and the Cross. Also, the music was beyond wonderful. From what I've seen Majewski is truly an artist par excellence.

16. Marko's rating of the film The Roe's Room