1. Sara Sousa's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

I tought I was in for a tale of class struggle;turns out the criticism of the bourgeousie is very tame.(Maybe it wasn't at the time.) It's a story about love & the conventions around it.Didn't like the plot much-too many implausible developments.Also didn't care about the dramas of the characters;they weren't developed enough.I know this was groundbreaking, but I just couldn't get into it.Great camerawork,though

2. Ethan's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

This is hands down one of the greatest films ever made and also one of the most entertaining. Brilliantly crafted by Jean Renoir, this comedy of manners moves like a bullet and never lets up until the end credits roll. This is what true filmmaking looks like.

3. Pierre.F's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

Un film ou plutôt une "fantaisie dramatique" qui passe de prime abord pour une comédie légère et vaudevillesque et qui porte au fur et à mesure un regard beaucoup plus incisif sur cette petite société aristocrate. Les plans et mouvements de caméra soulignent d'ailleurs ce regard et dénoncent la cruauté et la froideur de ce monde.

4. ionu's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

amazing direction and production, I just didn't get into the theme.

5. AVA's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

Schöne alte Filmkunst.Unwiederholbar.Moralisch.Wenn/wen der Schein trügt.

6. FISCHER's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

Une fort décapante description d'un milieu bourgeois décadent... www.cinefiches.com

7. steeeeellaaaaa's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

oh so pretty and smart i hate the ending but it's a classic

8. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

You want me to review a Renoir? A Renoir?

9. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

The full tarot deck of characters

10. Jérémy Poirier's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

A perfect film. A rare comedy with incredible depth of characters and a simple but complex story. They are all very colorful and well acted characters. It is hilarious, sad and extremely entertaining. The dialogues are meticulously well written and the camerawork really immerse you into this interplay of characters "stealing" each other's wife. Lying is one of the rules of the game

11. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

Seen on 35 at the Metrograph, and I realized for the first time how much, quite apart from a rich masterpiece, this is also a robust audience movie. What does it mean? First, that pure heroism has no bearing in how we lead our lives. Second, that upper- and lower-class people are both human beings like anyone else. Only, when "accidents" happen, one side will have to pay, and one won't. Them's the rules. Essential.

12. Sander Moyson's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

'La Règle Du Jeu' is a film written with fire. Renoir not only paints a meticulous, diabolic portrait of his characters; his constrained use of graceful closeups (faces with shimmering eyes on glossy, blurred backgrounds) makes us fall on our knees, as our hearts start to burn and we can't help to fall in love with man.

13. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

Twisty, complicated, funny, and still finds room for moments of intimate connection even between characters as emotionally warped as these. I don't know if I like it AS much as 'The Grand Illusion' if only for the fact that I think Renoir's warm humanism shines more brightly through a straight story, but this is still a gorgeous, wildly entertaining, and ballsy film.

14. Chris's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

great direction, but honestly? i can't see why it's one of "the greatest of all time" ... 7/10 but i'll try rewatching it eventually

15. Histioteuthis's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

16. kartina obskura's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

personally, i didn´t like it at all and i thought it was unbearable, but a great direction nonetheless.

17. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

A farce about the entitled upper class. Renoir is a director who doesn't seem to necessarily hate this social level, but also takes pleasure in setting it on its head. Like he did with Boudu Saved from Drowning, he mixes the well mannered shelves of society with the much more rambunctious and ill mannered sorts of the lower classes.

18. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

19. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

I doubt that anyone can fully grasp this film completely, and I mean it as a good thing. The level of fluidity of this film has rarely been achieved. Fluidity of desire, emotions, behaviour,... It stands for an anarchic (I'm not sure if that's the proper term) thought and feeling, for what it depicts and tells and for its own style.

20. daftnymph's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

callous, shallow, relatable people

21. Zoe Ormonde's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

"The awful thing about life is this, everybody has their reasons."

22. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

The mystique around the film obscures its textures. I've seen it three times, but it always seems to slip away from me.

23. redux's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

The end of all fêtes galantes, and the birth of truly modern cinema. Brutal prelude to (prime) Bunuel and Fellini.

24. Rodrigues Costa's rating of the film The Rules of the Game

You may well say Renoir is one of the best. His movies are so tangible, always moving with great grace. It's superb his mastery. From captivating narratives and dialogues to amazing characterisation. He perceives beauty with the camera in such a meticulous and cohesive way, it's really astonishing. Very fortunate to work with brilliant actors to display his art.

← Previous 1 3 4 5