1. Yokna HASEGAWA's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

there're too many strange,funny happenings (ideas from sponsors ?lol) ..but I like this philosophy,rule that they wanted to give a shape.not a superficial like"human love,living is wonderful",but undercurrent one,which kept me till the end.something links to a life,like between synchronicity and reality,we feel momentary,but go on living without answers.to make film with such subtle things is interesting at least.

2. spasmolytic's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

3. Meriç Aksu's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

4. anarresti's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

Well, I went looking for another Gus Van Sant film. And found something else. Still unsure what it was. But it was good cinema. And a lot of healing going on. Usually Van Sant's "camera" seems a lot more impartial. Not that his movies are not committed, or lack direction. Not at all. But as a viewer, I seem to have a lot more space to dive in. And here, the lead character, his view, dominates, in a "classical" way.

5. Philippe P. Marchetti's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

No Idea what happened here. This could have been so great if GVS didn't pick the easiest story to use. I wish someone like Zviaguintsev or PTA would have directed it. Horrible movie.

6. LauraPalmer's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

7. Samuel Righi's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

8. Gabriele Mariotti's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

The story is good on many level, but everything seems covered by a thick layer of "mellow-drama"

9. hgabriel84's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

it is during our darkest times that our loved ones are closest

10. Leif Erikson's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

You must know, this forest is very powerful...

11. BRAND UPON THE BRAIN!'s rating of the film The Sea of Trees

pretty heavy handed and i still cried wtf i'm turning into my mom

12. Trunfos's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

13. ughchenausea's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

onestamente non posso non esserne delusa, visto che da gus van sant mi aspettavo MOLTO altro. tuttavia messo da parte il risentimento verso di lui per aver fatto qualcosa di così impersonale e forzato in alcuni punti, è comunque un film apprezzabile.

14. letters never sent's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

2.5 It's not a great movie, but it's...ok. I don't get the hate though, sinceI can't say I hate it but it's just predictable and fell flat. There are parts where the film could have gone some other way to make it interesting, but nope, it just stayed mediocre. Nitpicky, maybe, but I've never met a single Japanese who readily speaks English like the characters here, even if they are fluent.

15. RumbleFish's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

Come mi immagino un film romantico

16. mávros skýlos's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

17. Ricardo Branco's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

18. vordven's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

19. fearraigh's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

Gus Van Sant's latest career slump continues and this is probably the worst of all his films. The Sea of Trees seems like a bad parody of a genuine film about grief. It is crass, exploitative, contrived and full of the laziest emotional shortcuts. As for the supposedly devastating twist, I have to admit I laughed out loud. Not even New Age kooks will find this tripe inspiring.

20. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film The Sea of Trees

Huge disappointment. One of my most anticipated films in the past years; Mcconaughey and suicide - V2 sounded promising, but it isn’t much of an existential work, and turns into some adventure/survival tale. Van sant used to have some nice form in his early years; but these days his form and feel is worthless. Not a director of much worth these days, and it is sad to see filmmakers descend like this.

21. Joao Francisco Pinho's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

3.5. Demasiado confuso, infelizmente.

22. Diego Ravazzolo's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

One of the worst Gus Van Sant's movies that I've ever seen.

23. Carl Penguin's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

24. bitterMoo's rating of the film The Sea of Trees

kudos for the cast. a good idea. nice shots. big themes to think about. then suddenly... the end?! and, East vs West - seriously? great potential lost IMO