1. Nathan Silva's rating of the film The Searchers

Liberals hate this movie. That's why I love it.

2. JCPJD's rating of the film The Searchers

Another 'Classic' that's left me disappointed. Maybe it was a great revelation at the time, but if so, it's lost it's potency. I wouldn't share this film. Yes, the cinematography is nice and some of the action is entertaining, but there is nothing really of substance here. Unless I've missed something. Am happy to be educated...

3. Vince W's rating of the film The Searchers

John Wayne and Bill O'Reilly look the same.

4. burning_chrome's rating of the film The Searchers

What's truly troubling about The Searchers is that it works both as a racist film and as a film about the issue of racism. Either way, it will surely appeal both to macho supremacist idiots as to people directly opposed to such ideas.

5. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Searchers

A Technicolor oil painting of the Old West. It is fantastic to look at. Excellent cast too with John Wayne and Jeffrey Hunter in a great partnership. Natalie Wood and Lana Wood are at their height of gorgeousness too. Silent movie star Mae Marsh do a great cameo as mentally disturbed woman.

6. gld48's rating of the film The Searchers

looks beautiful but is rotten underneath

7. Joel's rating of the film The Searchers

Certainly impressive in it’s elegance and possibly fresh in it’s complexity of character, I must confess my lack of knowledge in the Western genre, and ultimately I found this film to be an enjoyable watch but lacked any deep resonance.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Searchers

The main character played by John Wayne is a bit of a racist. He calls the guy he works with a half-breed and a blanket head. If you're a woman taken by the Native Americans, then they probably want to shoot you, because you've been ruined. I think the rhyme is "Once you go native, we'll leave you vegetative."

9. Kevin's rating of the film The Searchers

A film where the desert southwest and its tribal heritage is portrayed as monolithic and monotonous (it's not all Monument Valley, for Christ's sake). Where a life lived as a Comanche is worse than death, according to John Wayne's frustrated, painfully racist, and stale ex-Confederate soldier. It delivers a story long surpassed by the myth of this film's greatness. I'd put dozens of westerns before The Searchers.

10. enkii__bilal's rating of the film The Searchers

On of the greatest western-adventures of all time!

11. Bruno's rating of the film The Searchers

So that is regret, in his eyes, and guilt, and a wild life in the wild west, I've read this described as a racist movie that has insights into racism, I'm not so sure, perhaps, what hate for those Indians, how personal is it? a drifter he is

12. Bob's rating of the film The Searchers

More darker than it was supposed to be which comes to the notion when massacre aftermaths or taboo subjects, such as hatred based on principle, aren't fully shown or even shown at all. As a result, there's influential way of shooting the landscape and interesting relation between two main protagonists with Jeffrey Hunter being the heart of the film - everything else was done by the book; precise and forgettable.

13. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Searchers

14. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Searchers

Among Ford's Westerns this one is often referred to as; the one with the most morally complex protagonists; the one in which the relationship with the Indians isn't as easy as good and bad; and one which shies away from stereotypes. Surely an evolution towards such notions can be traced yet only marginally. Still, the movie shows a great use of space, and possesses fantastic first and final frames.

15. FISCHER's rating of the film The Searchers

Sur le thème de l'implacable vengeance d'un homme décidé à tout pour arriver à son but, un excellent film de John Ford, dominé par l'exceptionnelle stature de John Wayne dans un rôle à sa mesure. Une oeuvre à voir ou à revoir sans hésitation... www.cinefiches.com

16. Mariana Cruz's rating of the film The Searchers

As entertaining as your typical western but so much more than that. This is John Ford and John Wayne at their most inspired selves. Beautifully shot and emotionally charged, the sheer scale and majesty of this one will be sure to take your breath away.

17. Roy Deckard's rating of the film The Searchers

It depicts a Native American tribe as savages. That's true. But it's not white-serving either. The only sympathetic character was Debbie who eventually embraces the Native American culture and is unwillingly taken from "her people" (the Comanche people). All the other whites are repulsive in their way; either dimwits and fools or barbaric racists.

18. sadie's rating of the film The Searchers

19. Vincent T's rating of the film The Searchers

Been too long. Needs a rewatch.

20. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Searchers

21. leirmx's rating of the film The Searchers

22. Arf's rating of the film The Searchers

il western non lo tocco mai più

23. Aardsy's rating of the film The Searchers

24. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Searchers

I know it's sacrilegious but I don't think this is a good movie. It has a beautiful look and the narrative is compelling but the performances are unnuanced. They are either too mean or too goofy or too mad. I usually appreciate the Ford actor's basic, strongly expressed emotions but here they seem almost cartoonish.