1. kinotopia's rating of the film The Second Circle

some moments of such lucid clarity albeit with an occasional tendency to veer into an affected homage/ripoff of Tarkovsky and Tarr. satisfyingly grim and awful lighting (maybe the print?). assuming that this was supposed to be some sort of forced analogy for the death of the ussr, or Tarkovsky being the father and Sokurov the son doing everything to disappoint him.

2. mubianer's rating of the film The Second Circle

Not exactly a feelgood movie. However, hauting images as always in Sokurov films. But for some reason it didn't capture my interest like Days of Eclipse and other films by him.

3. Federico Maria Baldacci's rating of the film The Second Circle

4. Algirdas Tiuninas's rating of the film The Second Circle

5. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film The Second Circle

Unforgettable! So glad I saw this projected in 35mm.

6. Shayan Bazri's rating of the film The Second Circle

7. Joks's rating of the film The Second Circle

To me this is more of a transitional film for Sokurov. It's still quite talky for him, and this problem was rectified on 'Stone' two years later; Sokurov is better with images than words.

8. Joel's rating of the film The Second Circle

At points confounding and serene. I think the blend of sacred loss and mundane proves equally effective in the viewer to be at times so bored and also hushed with emotions. I find I usually like Sokurov most in idea over execution, but there are moments of this film that stagger and haunt.

9. Scott Barley's rating of the film The Second Circle

A beautifully stark film, portraying a bereaved son dealing with the aftermath of his father's death. Long takes and cold sepia imagery emphasise a poignant and desolate world.